Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 25th October 2018, 07:20
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Fw 190s from Alfred Price

I would agree on the retouching but how does that compare to the copy in the 1966 boo?. No photoshop then!
Old 25th October 2018, 13:41

Karoband will become famous soon enoughKaroband will become famous soon enough

Hi Chris,

I would value the Colonel's opinion on this.

To my eye, your photo seems to be a different copy from the same negative.

Some observations:

1. Ries' photo p. 49 is cropped. Only the aircraft is visible so I cannot compare the lower background.

2. The ever so slightly lighter tone of greys in Ries' picture eliminate all clouds and give a solid looking sky as well as all but eliminating the third propeller blade. This suggests to me a different print.

3. The white dot in the "5" and all white negative imperfections are eliminated.

4. In your picture the outline of the aircraft and the demarcation lines between dark and light camo are more defined, suggesting a better quality photographic paper was used. Curiously, the visible propeller blades are better defined in Ries' photo.

best regards,

Jim

Last edited by Karoband; 25th October 2018 at 14:43.
Old 25th October 2018, 21:34

Karoband will become famous soon enoughKaroband will become famous soon enough

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/album....&pictureid=568

Attached is a digital photograph of a photograph that may simply be an over-enlargement of a small portion of a negative resulting in an image that is grainy and blurry.

Jim

Last edited by Karoband; 25th October 2018 at 22:10.
Old 26th October 2018, 00:47

Broncazonk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karoband View Post
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/album....&pictureid=568

Attached is a digital photograph of a photograph that may simply be an over-enlargement of a small portion of a negative resulting in an image that is grainy and blurry.

Jim
Nupe. Look carefully at the photo. The retractable step ladder is visibly extended in the down position. (The ladder automatically extends downward when the canopy opens, and retracts upward (and flush to the fuselage) when the canopy closes.) So in flight, with the canopy closed (always closed in flight with the Fw 190,) the ladder would not be visible like this.

The tail wheel is depicted as being retracted, but it's retracted in the wrong location. And the drop tank attachment is wonky and wrong too.

This photo appears to be a heavily doctored image.

Bronc

Last edited by Broncazonk; 26th October 2018 at 20:27.