Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 4th July 2017, 10:49
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: German day fighter top aces by plane

"Hmm, I wonder if an aircraft of such extremely limited service deserves book in the OSPREY Combat Aircraft series."

The He 162 did enter operational service and has been the subject of much bigger books. It is simply a matter of what the authors' research can bring to light.
Old 4th July 2017, 11:49

Alfred.MONZAT will become famous soon enough

I don't know, I have the Classic volume by the same author (and read lately a good article in a French bookazine) so I am not much interested by it. A good share of Osprey books are reduced rewritten variants of previous book, that's good if you can't afford the original books or if they are no longer available. Also if the first book is well regarded you can be confident in the new one, as the Osprey collections are very variable in quality.
Old 4th July 2017, 12:25
Alter Hase

knusel is on a distinguished road

Hello Alfred,

you may be right. I think that especially the "Aircraft of the Aces" series has very much appeal to the average airwar enthusiast like me. That's why it seems always a good (financial) option to use it as a platform for a wide range of a non-professional audience. They even transformed the OSPREY Combat Aircraft volumes of István Toperczer into the OSPREY Aircraft of the Aces Series. The word "aces" still makes people buy books.
You're also right about the variable quality of the books in the series.

Cheers,

Michael
Old 27th September 2018, 19:12
Alter Hase

Good evening Gentlemen,

I wonder if Herbert Ihlefeld scored 128 or 129 kills in the Bf109.
Can anybody tell me the dates of 22 claims after 22Apr1942 ?

Michael
Old 15th February 2020, 17:55
Alter Hase

Good evening Gentlemen,

does anybody know what aircraft type Eduard Tratt was flying when he scored his May and June 1943 kills ?
Bf110 ? Me 410 ? Fw 190 ?

Cheers,

Michael