Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th October 2009, 19:23

paddyob26 is on a distinguished road
Need help with medal/awards abbreviation

I have been trying to determine who shot down B-17F-55-BO, 42-29506, "Full Boost!", 532BS, 382BG, 8AF on December 1, 1943. The aircraft crashed at Steenvoorde, France just east of Cassel. From my research and help from others on websites such as this it seems that the most likely canidate is Oberleutant Wolfgang Neu, 4./JG26. I looked up his biography, on Luftwaffe Ace Pilots, and it listed his awards mostly abbreviated. I was able to determine all but one. Below is a list of his awards that were listed in abbreviated form and what I determined them to be. Any corrections and help with the one unknown, "EP", are appreciated.

DK-G, Kreigsorden des Deutchen Kreuz Gold Klasse (Order of the German Cross Gold Class)

EK 1, Eiseren Kreuzes 1. Klasse (Order of the Iron Cross 1st Class)

EK 2, Eiseren Kreuzes 2. Klasse (Order of the Iron Cross 2nd Class)

Verwundetenabzeichen (Wound Badge, Black)
NOTE: Wolfgang Neu was wounded once before he was killed in action.

Frontflugspange (Day Fighter Operations Clasp)

EP, ???? What is this award?????

I understand the rankings of the Iron Cross and German Cross awards. Where do these other awards stand in order of ranking, if any, including the unknown EP?

Thank you,
Patrick
Old 12th October 2009, 20:53

Theodor is on a distinguished road
Re: Need help with medal/awards abbreviation

Hello Patrick, while the EP is an award, it is not an order. EP is the Ehrenpokal of the Luftwaffe.
Old 12th October 2009, 21:32

Spanferkel is on a distinguished road
Re: Need help with medal/awards abbreviation

The “typical” sequence for receiving these awards is listed below.

Frontflugspange in Bronze
EK2
Frontflugspange in Silver
EK1
Frontflugspange in Gold
EP
DKiG

Variations do frequently crop up depending on flying branch, i.e. Kampfflieger, Aufklarar, Jagdflieger etc. but the basic criteria was based on number of front flights. Special significance to certain operations, aerial victories, unit recognition etc. could knock this system out of sequence but the basic progression from award to award stands.

Since numerous pilots were in service prior to the institution of the operational spange award a pilot or crew member could be retroactively awarded a Gold spange without ever receiving the bronze or silver. Similarly there are instances of the Knights Cross being awarded to a flyer and the DKiG being awarded later. It should be noted that as the war progressed and flyers flew more and more missions the Flower pendant and numbered hangers were instituted for the front spange to reflect these additional front flights and to act as a method of further defining the awarding gap or sequence between the DKiG and the Knights Cross (RK).

The Verwundetenabzeichen was awarded in three grades Black, Silver and Gold depending on the number or severity of a wound(s). These could be awarded anywhere along the awarding sequence noted above.

And as shown the Ehrenpokal (EP) was typically awarded after the EK1 and Spange in Gold.

Regards

Jeremy

www.aufhimmelzuhause.com

Last edited by Spanferkel; 12th October 2009 at 23:27.