Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 29th September 2015, 18:51
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Ju88 losses to II./LG1 in the West on 29 May 1940

Hello,

II./LG1 lost four Ju88s to crashes on May 29, 1940, as a result of operations in the Ostend-Dunkirk area.

One 5 Staffel a/c crashed in Germany:

"29 May 1940: 5./LG1 Junkers Ju88A-1. Damaged by fighters and crashed near Mettmann, Germany, during return from attack on shipping at Dunkirk 8.15 p.m. FF Oberfw August Sasse and BO Fw Heinrich Ruppel both killed, BF Uffz Heinz Roewer and BS Uffz Erwin Berwanger both slightly wounded – admitted to hospital. Aircraft 100% write-off."

6 Staffel lost three: One, L1+AP, is well known and crashed on a beach in Belgium. As far as I know, we don't know the W.Nr. of this a/c.

Regarding the other two, one, W.Nr.4015, FL near Ouderburg. I have three photos of this a/c, but none of them show the a/c code, which would have been L1+_P. This a/c came down intact, but I've never seen any view of the a/c code, although I strongly suspect that they exist. Here are two photos showing this Ju88 after the FL:

https://ihra.smugmug.com/photos/i-6h...-6hnRqXW-L.jpg

https://ihra.smugmug.com/photos/i-VP...-VP9hM6q-L.jpg

Can anyone provide a photo of this a/c that shows the fuselage code, or provide info on what it was?

The fourth a/c FL intact in a polder in the Netherlands, then was set afire by its crew:

"29 May 1940: 6./LG1 Junkers Ju88A-1. Port engine damaged by AA fire during attack on shipping off Ostend and belly-landed in Terhofstedepolder at Zuidzande 8.25 p.m. BF Gefr Karl Meier slightly injured left hand, BO Oberfw Richard Hahne, FF Fw Hermann Giessen, and BS Uffz [ ] Bronitzky unhurt – all later returned. Aircraft L1+LP fired by crew 100% write-off."

I've never seen a photo of this a/c, but some probably exist, which would account for the knowledge of the a/c code. Can anyone provide these? Also, does anyone know the first name of Uffz Broistzky, who was aboard?

Thanx for any help you can provide