Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 29th June 2018, 03:29

DIscotraxxx is on a distinguished road
Unknown crash-landed B-17 in the Reich

Hi,

i have this unknown B-17 picture, i'm sure it will be possible to identify the wreck with the partial code and serial number.

I was unable to read anything on the back of the picture about a possible location...
Crashed in 1943 ?

Thanks for your help !

See You

Vince
Old 29th June 2018, 03:56
Alter Hase

RSwank is on a distinguished road
Re: Unknown crash-landed B-17 in the Reich

It looks like the full serial number would start out 42-35 with some more digits after the 5. The tail seems to show a Triangle K, which would be the 379th BG.

42-3559 was from the 379th BG and according to the fortlog: (http://www.91stbombardmentgroup.com/...ID/FORTLOG.pdf) it crash landed at Ambrieres-Les-Vallees, 25 miles N of Laval, France on 1 December, 1943.

That might be a possibility. Ambrieres-Les-Vallees is just north of Mayenne and "Mayenne" may be what is written on the 2nd line on the back of the photo.

Last edited by RSwank; 29th June 2018 at 12:09.
Old 29th June 2018, 04:34

Nick Hector will become famous soon enoughNick Hector will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSwank View Post
It looks like the full serial number would start out 42-35 with some more digits after the 5. The tail seems to show a Triangle K, which would be the 379th BG.

42-3559 was from the 379th BG and according to the fortlog it crash landed at Ambrieres-Les-Vallees, 25 miles N of Laval, France on 1 December, 1943.

That might be a possibility. Ambrieres-Les-Vallees is just north of Mayenne and "Mayenne" may be what is written on the 2nd line on the back of the photo.
Losses of the 8th & 9th Air Forces vol 1 by Bishop and Hey states the following, citing MACR 1333

T/O Kimbolton, assigned target Solingen, Germany. All navigation instruments were knocked out by Flak, so pilot attempted to reach England by using his compass. Due to weather conditions he never reached the English coast, and when his compass failed he let down through the undercast and made a wide turn to the southwest. He flew over the North Sea, English Channel and Normandy on the French mainland. Continuing in a southerly direction the pilot was forced to make a crash landing in a meadow at Ambrieres-Les-Vallees, about 25 miles north of Laval in France. The fuselage remained intact and all crew escaped safely. 6 POW and 4 Evaded

...Happy to provide crew details if you need them

Nick
Old 29th June 2018, 09:04

PMoz99 is on a distinguished road

Hmmm. According to the B-17 Registry pdf from avialogs.com, 42-3559 526BS, 379BG B-17G was named "Stardust" and lost to Flak 1 Dec 1943 at Rotterdam. I take it that was merely where she was hit?
Peter
Old 29th June 2018, 09:19

Nick Hector will become famous soon enoughNick Hector will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoz99 View Post
Hmmm. According to the B-17 Registry pdf from avialogs.com, 42-3559 526BS, 379BG B-17G was named "Stardust" and lost to Flak 1 Dec 1943 at Rotterdam. I take it that was merely where she was hit?
Peter
Hi Peter,
My source definitely concurs with your unit ID of 526 BS, 379th BG (sorry, I should have mentioned that, my bad...)
And that Flak was involved. No mention of the name "Stardust" or Rotterdam.
I should note that Bishop and Hey did not always mention aircraft names.

She certainly was not a B-17G but a B-17F-75-DL.
Otherwise, Joe Baugher agrees with Peter's info, which is viewable at
http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_serials/1942_1.html

3559 (379th BG, 526th BS, "Stardust") shot down by AAA at Rotterdam, Netherlands Dec 1, 1943. MACR 1333. 6 POW, 4 evaded.

Old 29th June 2018, 09:36

PMoz99 is on a distinguished road

Comparing the two, it looks like the pdf from avialogs is identical to Joe Baugher's list ...
Old 29th June 2018, 10:39

I agree.
However, I would be most inclined to take the MACR as gospel, which is what Bishop and Hey quotes. The one strange thing is that Bishop and Hey leaves Rotterdam unmentioned, as you uncovered with your avialogs info. I think you were right in assuming that was where the Flak hit took place though...
Old 29th June 2018, 11:43
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

First of all I would like to say that all B-17 lists on the net is based upon the research made by Roger Freeman and mostly copied straight from his book The B-17 Flying Fortress Story. Thanks to a many other internet sites (and a few individuals) dedicated to various Bomber Units, a few gaps have been filled in.

Secondly can someone explain the letter partly visible in the picture? Is this the individual code letter we see? Probably a U then? It certainly is not part of the unit code applied to 526BS which was LF.

Finally anyone who tries to go through the US record cards from WW 2 also have to go through the unit records and finally end it all with finding loss registers (MACR is not enough) to get anything resembling a correct picture, knows how hard and time consuming this is. Finding all your work copied on the internet must be simply heart breaking. There are now so many individuals who have stopped doing this due to this theft that it is an incredible loss for us all.

For those still fighting on, my hat is off any day in the week!

Cheers
Stig
Old 29th June 2018, 11:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Jarlevik View Post
First of all I would like to say that all B-17 lists on the net is based upon the research made by Roger Freeman and mostly copied straight from his book The B-17 Flying Fortress Story. Thanks to a many other internet sites (and a few individuals) dedicated to various Bomber Units, a few gaps have been filled in.

Secondly can someone explain the letter partly visible in the picture? Is this the individual code letter we see? Probably a U then? It certainly is not part of the unit code applied to 526BS which was LF.

Finally anyone who tries to go through the US record cards from WW 2 also have to go through the unit records and finally end it all with finding loss registers (MACR is not enough) to get anything resembling a correct picture, knows how hard and time consuming this is. Finding all your work copied on the internet must be simply heart breaking. There are now so many individuals who have stopped doing this due to this theft that it is an incredible loss for us all.

For those still fighting on, my hat is off any day in the week!

Cheers
Stig
Stig, acknowledged....

I can delete my earlier post if that is what is required here. Just say so, and I will do it

Nick
Old 29th June 2018, 12:01
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hector View Post
Stig, acknowledged....

I can delete my earlier post if that is what is required here. Just say so, and I will do it

Nick
Hey Nick

Not you I am after. Sorry if it came out that way. We all use the net. I do too. I suppose it makes us all 'sinners'. I have no good answer to the problem. In this particular case, I simply wanted to honor Roger, knowing what an incredible work he did in his lifetime. There were/are many others....

Cheers
Stig