Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation before the Second World War.

Old 15th July 2012, 15:55

ianatheling is on a distinguished road
Siebel Hummel??

At eBay here there is a photo on the back of which it appears to be titled Hummel Fritz Siebel 1939.....But this aircraft is very different from the photos of the Si 202 Hummel that I have. Any suggestions regarding this aircraft will be much welcome

Ian
Old 16th July 2012, 23:31

NoNo01 is on a distinguished road
Re: Siebel Hummel??

Hello Ian,

the person to the right could verry well be Friedrich (Fritz) Wilhelm Siebel but the plane is definitely no Si 202 Hummel.
I doubt it is a german plane at all, looks like something with a de Havilland Gipsy Major engine. Maybe at the "Großflugtag / internationales Luftrennen Frankfurt Rebstock 1939" ???
Siebels Si 202 took part there in large numbers ( quite successfull) so it could well be he was personally there.

Sorry i could not be of more help

Norbert
Old 21st July 2012, 20:13
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Ian

Regardless of what the photo says on the back side, this is a French Caudron. The ringed race number 13 indicates a use in one of the German sponsored Europaflug spectacles so popular in the 1930's. Having said that it could of course be some other race number since the Europaflug at least up to 1934 use square fields.

It looks like one of the lesser powered variants (type 366 for instance), but I am notoriously bad in identifying "partial shots" of aircraft.

I have failed to locate this race number in my books, so someone else needs to nail this down exactly.

Cheers
Stig
Old 23rd July 2012, 20:55

ianatheling is on a distinguished road

Many thanks Stig.

My main concern was to prove that this not some form of 'unknown' Siebel related prototype. I would agree that there are similarities to the Caudron 366.

Cheers
Ian
Old 5th September 2012, 08:46

ACESIGGY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianatheling View Post
Many thanks Stig.

My main concern was to prove that this not some form of 'unknown' Siebel related prototype. I would agree that there are similarities to the Caudron 366.

Cheers
Ian
Try here, type in "virtual aircraft museum" ,once you get the main page look for the "alphabet " then click the "S" scroll down to Siebel and I think you'll find the aircraft there.
Johnny