Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 14th June 2020, 13:37

Witold K. is on a distinguished road
Hiryu kanko unit during Battle of Midway morning strike

Good afternoon
My question's concening formation of Hiryu kanko unit during 4th of june morning strike on Midway. It opereted in 2-plane sections rearher than 3-plane like rest of 1st Air Fleet air units. How did look that unit formation like?
B tgds
Old 14th June 2020, 17:14

SteveR is on a distinguished road
Re: Hiryu kanko unit during Battle of Midway morning strike

Even with 2-plane shotais the formation (prior to assuming attack formation for the bomb run) was a vee of vees.
Old 18th June 2020, 07:42

Hi Steve. Thank You for this tip. I can imagine how to make a V of V's of 3 6 - plane Chutais, however I would like to know how bomb run formation of Hiryu kanko over Midway looked like. Was it a modification of Fuchida's Pearl Harbor horizontal bombing formation or otherwise?
All the best
Old 18th June 2020, 15:35

SteveR is on a distinguished road

IIRC, at Midway it was line astern with each Chutai assigned a different target.
Old 18th June 2020, 15:42
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Have you read "Shattered Sword" by Jonathan Parshall and Anthony Tully? They go into great detail over the timing and composition of the various formations put up by the Japanese at Midway.
Old 18th June 2020, 17:16

Thanks for all replies. I've got the "Shattered Sword", off course, and I've revued the chapter of morning strike on Midway several times, but perhapsI've missed the details. As a matter of fact I have a lot of books about Midway; Lord, Prange and others, but already in Parshal/Tully's book I've found that Hiryu horizontal bomber unit operated in diffirent formation than other units. All previous authors had been describing japanese formations as V of V's, regardles cruise or attack ones. Neither of them cared about such details.
Anyhow thank You for contribution to my question. All the best