Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 8th February 2015, 09:58
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Looking for photos of FL or crashed 17 SQ Hurricanes (YB code) during the WC/FC of 1940

Hello,

In our efforts to photographically document as many of the British losses during the Blitzkrieg in the west during the late spring of 1940, our EoE WG is now searching for photos usable for profile documentation of Hurricanes of 17 SQ. We have four photos of YBoI, but without a known SN, for which we are also searching, so that we can associate these photos with a specific Hurricane loss.

Does anyone know the SN of YBoI, or have photos of any other Hurricanes down during May-June, 1940 displaying 17 SQ codes?

Your assistance will be appreciated.
Old 9th February 2015, 13:52
Alter Hase

Revi16 is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for photos of FL or crashed 17 SQ Hurricanes (YB code) during the WC/FC of 1940

A YB code and serial #.

http://www.bbm.org.uk/StevensLW.htm
http://www.bbm.org.uk/StevensLW-portrait1-opt.jpg
Old 9th February 2015, 23:08
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Looking for photos of FL or crashed 17 SQ Hurricanes (YB code) during the WC/FC of 1940

Revi16,

Thanx for sending this. I'd always planned to use YBoJ as a probable EoE BoB Profile for 17 SQ, but had just never gotton around to collecting this well-known photo. So I''m glad to have it and I appreciate your taking the time to send this to me.

Does anyone have a close up photo of the flying "Popeye" emblem on this a/c?

Actually, I'm still looking for photos that might confirm the SN of YBoI that crash-landed during the WC/FC, and any other photos of forced-landings or crashes of 17 SQ Hurricanes in France or Belgium during the May-June, 1940 campaign. There just must be more than the four images of have of YBoI out there.
Old 14th February 2015, 13:40

gedburke3 is on a distinguished road

Hi Larry
I do have a photograph somewhere of a 17 squadron hurricane taken just before the Battle of France.
It clearly shows that the hand in armour of 17 squadrons crest was painted onto the front of their aircraft below the front of the canopy.
There is also a well known picture of Bird Wilson standing near the rudder of a hurricane. The same armoured hand is painted on the rudder.
Gerry
Old 14th February 2015, 22:58
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Gerry,

Thanx. Is it possible to get copies of these from you?
Old 15th February 2015, 00:32

Hi Larry,
No problem.
I will try and locate the picture today and scan it for you.
Gerry
Old 15th February 2015, 02:55
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Gerry,

Thanx. Copies of both photos would be appreciated.
Old 15th February 2015, 23:36

Here you go.

Not great but the picture showing the line of of 17 squadron hurricanes originates from Arthur Lines who was with them from January 1938.
You can just make out the 'hand in armour' motif that I mentioned.

This can be seen clearer on the close up of Bird-Wilson.

Cheers
Gerry
Old 16th February 2015, 04:50
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Gerry,

Thanx. These photos may lead to some profiles. Is the rest of Bird-Wilson's a/c known in photos? That should be a profile if we can document it.
Old 16th February 2015, 10:40

Hi Larry
Sadly there are no better pictures of 17 squadron hurricanes in my collection.
I did know Peter Dawbarn reasonably well and I could kick myself for not asking him if he had any pictures.
That said, I have seen photos on the web of his hurricane before and after his force landing during the BoB.
Kind regards
Gerry