Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 7th May 2020, 18:37
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
From Bessarabia to Belgrade [off topic]

An illustrated study of the Soviet conquest of southeast Europe, March-October 1944. Scheduled for 20 November.

https://www.casematepublishers.com/d...l#.XrQqXMUpCUk

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 7th May 2020, 22:42
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: From Bessarabia to Belgrade [off topic]

Casemate is an incredibly prolific publisher of World War II titles, more so than I imagined. That said, they are also republishing oldies by changing the title and making no mention of it on the dust jacket or cover. The one that caught my eye was their On to Stalingrad by Horst Scheibert. This was originally published in German 40 years ago in Stuttgart as an acclaimed MGFA (Militärgeschichtliche Forschungsamt) title that ran on for 700+ pages due to the very lengthy appendices (Anlagen). I think Casemate should say something for the benefit of the buyer.
Old 7th May 2020, 22:57
Alter Hase

I think the customer should always be informed. Buying the same book twice is bad business. In years past, reprints of old books with new titles were announced.

Ed
Old 8th May 2020, 15:11

mars

Interestingly, from the amazon listing, this book is published by Peko, technically it is no reprint, since Peko also schedule on Nov 20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/61...KIKX0DER&psc=1
Old 8th May 2020, 15:22

mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
I think the customer should always be informed. Buying the same book twice is bad business. In years past, reprints of old books with new titles were announced.

Ed

Ed, in the casemate link (https://www.casematepublishers.com/d...l#.XrVOaMB7k2x), the publisher is Peko, so I think this case is simple a deal between two publisher, there is nothing wrong with that
Old 8th May 2020, 15:45

Orwell1984 is on a distinguished road

While Casemate publishes some of their own works, they mainly function as a distributor for other smaller publishers. They distribute Peko, MMP, Pen & Sword. So they would provide sales support , warehousing etc

Pen & Sword in particular is notorious for reprinting without notifying customers it’s a reprint and even changing the title. Got caught once and am now extra careful

For example they list this “new” title
https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/The-...rdback/p/17305

Which I’m almost positive is just a reissue of the old Crowood aviation book.
Old 8th May 2020, 18:15
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars View Post
Ed, in the casemate link (https://www.casematepublishers.com/d...l#.XrVOaMB7k2x), the publisher is Peko, so I think this case is simple a deal between two publisher, there is nothing wrong with that

I have been in book publishing almost 40 years. Among the golden rules is never mislead the customer. Most people have modest incomes. No one would knowingly buy the same book twice. Of course, publishers can make any deals they want. Misrepresentation is not a good idea.

Best,
Ed
Old 8th May 2020, 18:29

mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
I have been in book publishing almost 40 years. Among the golden rules is never mislead the customer. Most people have modest incomes. No one would knowingly buy the same book twice. Of course, publishers can make any deals they want. Misrepresentation is not a good idea.

Best,
Ed
In this case, casemate did not mislead the customer, since the publisher of this book is clearly listed as Peko, and I believe Casemate is just served as a distributor, just open that link and take a look