Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines > Die Jagdfliegerverbände der Deutschen Luftwaffe 1934 bis 1945

Die Jagdfliegerverbände der Deutschen Luftwaffe 1934 bis 1945 by Jochen Prien, Gerhard Stemmer, Peter Rodeike & Winfried Bock
incl. other work by Dr. Prien and his colleagues

Old 30th January 2007, 16:16
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough
Re: New subforum

I'm surprised that this has received so little interest so far.

Let me pose a question. In 'Jagdfliegerverbande' Vol. 9 #2, there is the usual series of photos of 9./JG 3 with their new Bf 109F-4s at Crailsheim. There are also several new photos that came from the gentleman who posted the photos of Hans Schleef's 'white 4' from 7./JG 3 a couple of years ago. Look for 'yellow 2' and note its orientation in all the photos and compare with the photos of Schentke. Anyone else agree that these are the same machine?
Old 12th February 2007, 00:53

Miguel is on a distinguished road
Re: Jagdfliegerverbande Vol. 9 #2, photos of 9./JG 3 with their new Bf 109F-4s at Crailsheim

I do agree, Jim
The plane at the right side is "Gelbe 11" (photo 109).
In photos 114 and 115, the plane at the same relative position is "1X". As "10" is present also, it must be "11" or "12" (no information on greater than 12 numbers).
Impossible to be certain, but 11 is a good possibility.
In that case, Schentke's plane is "Gelbe 2".
Regards
Old 12th February 2007, 14:09

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim P. View Post
I'm surprised that this has received so little interest so far.
It strikes me that this series is merely a vehicle for Prien's photo collection .. and having most of the unit histories I have only looked at the handful of volumes that cover the Geschwader not dealt with by Prien's team (JG54, JG 51 etc..) How much duplication and overlap is there with the unit histories..Perhaps the place to start here might be to provide a break down of what is actually contained in each volume..?
Old 13th February 2007, 16:22
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough
Re: Jagdfliegerverbande Vol. 9 #2, photos of 9./JG 3 with their new Bf 109F-4s at Crailsheim

Well, there is definitely some overlap in the current series with the previous unit histories - only stands to reason. But the unit histories only covered JGs 1/11, 3, 27, 53 & 77. The current series includes all the fighter units and a few others. Much of this stuff is all-new, including quite a number of new photos for the previously published units, not to mention the fact that you also get losses, claims and other pertinent tables & maps - and significant updates of said info from that previously published.
Old 14th February 2007, 00:54

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road

Dear Falke Eins,

please explain to me what you mean by saying that the JFV series " is merely a vehicle for Prien's photo collection" ? Is there - in your view - anything wrong about this series ? If so, I would be grateful to learn what.

Regards

Jochen Prien
Old 14th February 2007, 08:12
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalkeEins View Post
It strikes me that this series is merely a vehicle for Prien's photo collection .. and having most of the unit histories I have only looked at the handful of volumes that cover the Geschwader not dealt with by Prien's team (JG54, JG 51 etc..) How much duplication and overlap is there with the unit histories..Perhaps the place to start here might be to provide a break down of what is actually contained in each volume..?
I disagree completely, one only has to read the introductions to each main subject dealt, location data, unit activity, the comprehensive claims and losses list to understand why. The photographic collection, although very interesting isn't the main attraction.

Is there an overlap with the previous in depth unit histories sure, enough to warrant such a negative remark. Hell no.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 14th February 2007, 19:12

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochen Prien View Post
Is there - in your view - anything wrong about this series ? If so, I would be grateful to learn what.
.. nothing wrong with the series at all....there was no 'negative' remark there....perfectly neutral. I said I have 'the impression etc etc'.....geez guys !!

I only have the one volume. Having already purchased the unit histories, I was just wondering how much I really needed the JFV volumes..

It is very difficult to find out exactly what is in each volume when coming to them late, which is what I thought this thread might help tell me....
Old 14th February 2007, 19:49
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalkeEins View Post
It is very difficult to find out exactly what is in each volume when coming to them late, which is what I thought this thread might help tell me....
To answer this question, I'll put up (if Jochen Prien agrees) the full table of content and some additional information of each volume. Not only will this provide information to those who have an interest in buying a book in this series, it can also function as a guideline as we discuss the series and their content.

I want to extend this to include the original unit histories.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 14th February 2007, 23:40

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road

Dear Ruy,

you're welcome, feel free to proceed as you feel appropriate.

If my time allows I will supply this sub-forum with the corrections and additions to the current JFV series as they come in and have so far been published in the appendices to the volumes that have appeared so far. These additions may be slow in coming, but it's all a question of time ( of which I have much too little to cope with everything the way I would like it to ).

Kind regards

Jochen Prien
Old 15th February 2007, 13:32

PhilippeDM

Dear Mr. Prien,

First a wholehearty thank you for you and your team to make such very interesting books.

I can only applaud very loud your intention to give us the errata's on this forum. Will there be other ones than those you regularly include in your newer volumes??

Thanks a lot for the hours spent reading your books....

(PS any news of volume 10?)

Philippe