Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 14th July 2017, 21:43
Alter Hase

keith A is on a distinguished road
Courses at 2 SFTS Brize Norton that ended in March or April 1940

I am looking for details of courses that ended at this FTS in this time period. My interest is in the jigsaw that is JJ "Chris" Le Roux who apparently trained there in between finishing No12 course at 10 SFTS on December 9, 1939 and joining 6 Course, 6 OTU alongside Mickey Rook and Alf Marshall on 28 April 1940.

I am not sure why he would have gone to another SFTS when his contemporaries went to squadrons of Fighter Command Group Pools or squadrons. Perhaps he didn't finish 12 Course?

regards

Keith
Old 15th July 2017, 00:34

andy bird is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Courses at 2 SFTS Brize Norton that ended in March or April 1940

Just recently done 10,000 words on Maurice Guedj who was also at Brize fortunately he spoke English as a second language, his papers from the French Military Historic Archive in Paris indicated that a number of his compatriots were held back to get their English Language up to a skilful level to be able to communicate properly on the RT, I appreciate this may not be the case with Roux.

In another letter to French HQ in London he mentions a number got a red endorsement for bad lands, etc., and therefore got put back too.

Andy B
Old 15th July 2017, 15:35
Alter Hase

Found my answer. Two sergeant pilots who joined 6 Course, 6 OTU had come from 42 Course 2 FTS which ended on March 24, 1940. Both were posted to France in May 1940 but one returned without joining a squadron there.

Looking at this subject more and more there seems to be no evidence that Le Roux reached 85 Squadron despite being posted there. The squadron records several casualties in the four days 17-21 May they were in France, none of them Le Roux.

I wonder if he returned to 6 OTU and having become an instructor went with Peter Ayerst to 7 OTU in July 1940.

regards

Keith
Old 15th July 2017, 22:42

rafcommands is on a distinguished road

He was re-coursed.

The ORB of No.10 SFTS shows that he did not progress to advanced training squadron.

He is on the course photo (front row, 3rd from left) and his flying hours and results listed in the basic training squadron results photo.

A clue may be in the single line entry 29/10/39
A/P/O leRoux returned to Unit from Halton Hospital

If you have a copy of his service record then it should be shown in the postings list.

Ross
Old 15th July 2017, 23:14

Looking at No.56 OTU ORB he is not listed in the names joining No.6 Course but there is the following entry 16 May 1940

General Court Martial assembled to investigate low flying complaint involving Pilot Officer J J LeRoux. Charge dismissed. Pilot Officer J J LeRoux proceeded to PDC Uxbridge on posting to No.85 Squadron.

Ross
Old 15th July 2017, 23:59

Looking into my files I see that on his first solo he landed cross wind, did not flatten out, bounced and stood Tiger Moth G-ADHR on it's nose at White Watham (No.13 EFTS) on 18th May 1939.

The Form 1180 records 11 dual for his total hours.

Ross
Old 16th July 2017, 12:29
Alter Hase

Thanks Ross,

Sadly I have very little on him other than the stuff I track down on the net and the generous comments of forum members. My information about his training is from this site

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archiv...ls&lot_id=1068

but it would seem he joined another course, possibly No. 15 which finished on April 12, 1940? In which case he was not at 2 SFTS but most of the details on the site are accurate so I am not sure why they'd highlight a spell at 2 SFTS.

Best regards

Keith
Old 16th July 2017, 12:46

He is not mentioned as re-coursing to No.10 SFTS in the ORB.

As he has been deceased for over 25 years, any one can apply to RAF Disclosures at Cranwell for a copy of his full service record.

For the small fee of £30 it will give you accurate chapter and verse rather than casting about for third party dregs of unknown accuracy.

As he was a war casualty you do not even need a death certificate for the application - just point to the CWGC commemoration entry at Runnymede.

See the link for full details on what you get and how to get it
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-...vice-personnel

Ross

Last edited by rafcommands; 16th July 2017 at 15:56.
Old 16th July 2017, 17:24
Alter Hase

Many thanks Ross. I think it will be worth the money, although I will miss the detective work - although maybe his fight at "The Sphinx", and his final flight in a Spitfire full of bottles of champagne will always provide a impetus to find out more

Keith
Old 25th August 2017, 16:45
Alter Hase

Ross, took your advice and got his records. There's lots of stuff in there that contradicts what I thought I knew. I thought it might tell me about his spell in hospital in 1939 or if he was hospitalised in 1940 after flying in France however there's nothing.

However it does confirm he joined 2 SFTS in November 1939, and this means he didn't join 42 Course when it began in October. Maybe he was able to join it later because he had some training? I will look for other course dates around November 9 to see if he joined another one that fits with his spell at 6 OTU.

His posting to 6 OTU is given as starting on 9 March 1940 (the date 11 Group pool became 6 OTU), so you are right about him not being on Course 6, I wonder if he was on the first course?

He was posted overseas on 18 May 1940.

best regards

Keith