Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 16th February 2019, 11:57

Siko54 is on a distinguished road
Researching JU88 accident Gänserndorf 1943

Hi chaps!

I’ve not posted here in a long time, but a quiet weekend at work has got me itching to look into my Great-Uncle’s history again. I’ve had some really useful help from Chris and others on here with details of my Great-Uncle’s crew and aircraft details, but I’m trying to find more out now.

My great-uncle was Karl Frass, flying as a Bordfunker in 5/54 KG54 in JU88 A-4 B3+AN wr 1058, which crashed near Gänserndorf on 4 Aug 1943 with the total loss of the aircraft and crew. The pilot was Heinz Imme:

http://www.aircrewremembered.com/Kra...?s=700&q=heinz

....who had been awarded the bomber operational clasp, although my relative had only very recently joined KG/54 a few months before, so I assume he had been partnered with an experienced crew.

I appreciate there’s almost certainly not much more out there in the public domain regarding the accident and really appreciate the help I’ve had sofar, but I wonder if anyone knows of any Austrian aviation historical research societies or individuals who may be able to help? I’ve googled away but with very limited success, due to my German being almost non existent! I’ve posted it before, but here’s a link below to my Flugbuch collection thread on another forum with a few photos of my Great Uncle. We have his records but they tell us nothing about what happened to him after he joined KG54 other than he died.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=843342

Thank you.
Old 16th February 2019, 14:57
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Researching JU88 accident Gänserndorf 1943

Siko

Sorry to say I don't remember your last postings, but from the sound of it you (or your relative) have (had) something to do with Austria.

If so, I suggest you make contact with ÖFH (they have a contact link here
https://www.oefh.at/impressum )

I was a member for many years, but left because instead of focusing on the big picture the magazine dealt too much on small individual things which was of minor interest to me. With me, living in Sweden, it proved impossible to attend any meetings etc, so I called it a day...
So my decision had nothing to do with any thinking the Society is bad in any way, since they indeed have a large number of really good historians among them!

Hopefully they can provide either direct information or tell you where to track down further details.

Cheers
Stig
Old 16th February 2019, 17:25

Siko54 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Stig...I’ll look at that website, really appreciate it and yes you’re right, my dad is Austrian.
Old 16th February 2019, 17:35
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Good Luck!

Cheers
Stig