Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 2nd November 2015, 15:59

bill norman
Buckland's cigarette case

Ron Buckland was a Halifax bomber pilot with the Yorkshire-based No.640 Squadron during WWII . On the afternoon of 24 December 1944, during a raid on Essen/Muhlheim airfield, his life - and probably those of his crew - was saved by his cigarette case.
The case was in his right-hand pocket and up under his ribs as he sat at the controls of the bomber. Over the target, the Halifax was bracketed by anti-aircraft fire and peppered by shrapnel, which damaged two engines and the tail-plane. A piece of shrapnel struck the pilot on his right-hand side, flung him against the wall of the cockpit and rendered him unconsciousness.
It transpired that the cigarette case had taken the brunt of the shrapnel’s power but it had been driven into his side. Although the container had been savagely twisted and torn, it had protected its owner from grevious injury.
With Buckland in great pain, losing blood and lapsing in and out of consciousness, the precarious flight home became a crew effort. The Halifax eventually made landfall over East Anglia and managed to land at the emergency airfield at Woodbridge, near Ipswich. Ron was a taken to Ely hospital and spent two months’ in recovery before returning to operational duties. He and two members of his crew were subsequently awarded the DFC for their efforts that day: a further member was awarded the DFM. The cigarette case was a present from Ron’s father, who had carried it throughout the First World War. Ron says that it disappeared at some stage during his transfer from Woodbridge and the hospital at Ely: he has not seen it since then.
As a an aviation writer, I have written on two occasions about Ron Buckland’s lucky escape on Christmas Eve 1944. Now in his nineties, he finds his mind increasingly pre-occupied with fate of his cigarette case. If you can help in any way regarding its fate, do please contact me at bill@billnorman.co.uk

Bill Norman
Old 2nd November 2015, 16:09

bill norman
Re: Buckland's cigarette case

I was hoping to upload a photograph of the cigarette case - but I can't find the upload instruction. Can anyone advise,please? Bill Norman
Old 2nd November 2015, 16:13

bill norman

Found it!
Old 2nd November 2015, 16:30
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

I wish you and he luck but after almost 71 years, the chances are......but you never know!
Old 2nd November 2015, 16:40

bill norman

Thanks, Chris - thought you might. It's the eternal optimist in me. It does work sometimes - as in 2010, when it took just one hour (with the magnificent help of TOCH member Frank Olynyk in Ohio, USA!!) to find the Spitfire pilot who had shot down a German friend of mine in 1942 They have since met and are now friends. So fingers crossed... Bill