Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 16th November 2008, 15:36

Aussie7 is on a distinguished road
253 sqn Claims

I have found a photo in the AWM collection of 4 fighter pilots in Tunisia, circa 1943. The photo caption states 'that they were part of a formation that destroyed 4 Italian torpedo bombers in less than 5 minutes'. The pilots were - F/L KAH Mason (RAF), F/S CE Kerville (RAAF), Sgt RJ Cammock (RNZAF) and Sgt D Jackson (RNZAF).

I believe that the pilots were from 253 Sqn and the combat was probably on 5 Apr 43 (as discussed in a previous thread in 2005). Unfortunately the 253 Sqn ORB is missing it's entries for Apr 43. Does anyone know who made claims on this occasion.

Thanks, Ian Westworth
(South Australia)
Old 16th November 2008, 16:29

phasselgren is on a distinguished road
Re: 253 sqn Claims

Hi Ian,
I had a question about these claims on RAF Commands Forum:
http://www.rafcommands.com/cgi-bin/d...D6&archive=yes
You get some information here but as you mention the 253 Sqn ORB failed to give any help.

Cheers
Peter
Old 23rd November 2008, 17:18

Aussie7 is on a distinguished road
Re: 253 sqn Claims

Thanks Peter.

It's all a bit frustrating, isn't it ? I have been trying to find out F/S Kerville's part in this combat. I have a locally produced book by a later 253 Sqn pilot (W/O Stenning) that has a newspaper article in it and it mentions this combat and states "5 Hurricanes on a night patrol destroyed 4 Italian bombers". I will now try to access F/O Kerville's PR file at the AWM, you never know there might be something interesting there.

Ian