Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th August 2015, 23:06

GuerraCivil is on a distinguished road
The Defeat of Stukas: GC I/5 claims on 12.5.1940

The French fighter unit GC I/5 claimed on 12.5.1940 to have shot down as many as 11 Stukas down in big air combat - this happened at Sedan sector, the locality being Bauillon-Ste Cecilé-Poury St. Remy (more or less).

Was this a first time when Stuka´s vulnerability was demonstrated in big scale air combat? How many of French claims are confirmed by Luftwaffe sources?

The Stuka unit was I/StG 76 according to this French site: http://www.cieldegloire.com/004_marin_la_meslee_e.php
Old 12th August 2015, 23:53
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: The Defeat of Stukas: GC I/5 claims on 12.5.1940

GC,

Here is what we carry in the EoE LW Loss DB for this action on 12 May 1940 (4 Shot down or FL, 1 lightly damaged):

"1./StG76 Junkers Ju87B-1. Shot down by Curtiss H-75s of GC I/5 in action south -west of Sedan 8.30 a.m. Crash-landed and burned out behind German lines east of Bouillon. BF Uffz Richard Kny badly wounded, FF Lt [ ] Haller unhurt. Aircraft 100% write-off.
Claims for six Stukas, plus 12 more probably destroyed, were filed following this action by the five French pilots involved: Lieutenant Edmond Marin-la-Meslée, Sous-Lieutenant Jean Rey, Sous-Lieutenant François Perina, Sergent-Chef Dominique Penzini, and Sergent-Chef François Morel.
(Note: Revised per 03/08/14 PC email)

1./StG76 Junkers Ju87B. Badly damaged in attacks by Curtiss H-75s of GC I/5 south-west of Bouillon 8.30 a.m. Belly-landed near Bellevaux. BF Fw Friedrich Petrick badly wounded in stomach, FF Oberlt Wolfgang Unbehaun unhurt. Aircraft S1+KH 15% damaged but repairable.
On return to base, radio contact was established with 'Zaratza' Unbehaun by the Staffelkapitän, Oberlt Dietrich Peltz, who picked up the crew by Storch within the hour.

2./StG76 Junkers Ju87B-1. Engine badly damaged in attack from below by Curtiss H-75s of GC I/5 during sortie east of Sedan and crash-landed in the Semois valley at ‘Les Longs Champs’ outside Dohan, east of Bouillon, 9.00 a.m. BF Uffz Helmut Gäth badly wounded in chest – died shortly after landing, FF Lt Heinz-Georg Migeod unhurt. Aircraft S1+MK 50% damaged but repairable. (Migeod FB via TOCH 6/10)
Helmut Gäth was originally buried in a field grave in an orchard off the Route du Sati on the north-eastern approach to Dohan. He now lies in Noyers-Pont-Maugis Cemetery, Block 3, Grave 1835.

2./StG76 Junkers Ju87B. Returned damaged by Curtiss H-75s of GC I/5 during sortie east of Sedan 8.30 a.m. BF Gefr Ludwig Kirner slightly wounded, pilot unhurt. Aircraft <10% damaged - repairable.

2./StG76 Junkers Ju87B. Shot down Curtiss H-75s of GC I/5 during sortie to attack enemy ground forces north-east of Sedan and exploded in woods near Bouillon 8.30 a.m. FF Lt Rudolf Schulze-Wimken, and BF Uffz Heinz Rolland both baled out at low level and captured slightly wounded – later released. Aircraft S1+DK 100% write-off. (Gillet)
(Note: Revised per 11/05/14 PC email)"

If anyone has any photos or further information to clarify or elaborate on this action, it would be most welcome. I'm particularly looking for photos of Migeod's S1+MK, but photos of any others lost or damaged in this action would also be welcome.
Old 13th August 2015, 00:37
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: The Defeat of Stukas: GC I/5 claims on 12.5.1940

Hello,

As a further note to the above, photos are believed known to exist for S1+KH down near Bellevaux. We have four in our EoE DB.

Arnaud Gillet has published a photo of what is reported to be the 2 Staffel S2+DK that crashed in the woods (tail only visible), but we don't have that photo in our DB.

We are still looking for photos of Item 1, which reportedly burned out E of Bouillon, and photos of the FL S1+MK (Migeod). Any help locating these would be appreciated.