Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 30th January 2006, 18:02
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
Major Johannes Wiese

Hello all

On either 24 December 1944 or 25 December 1944, Major Johannes Wiese, Geschwaderkommodore of JG 77, was shot down and forced to bale out of his fighter following combat with Spitfire fighters. Most sources, including Obermaier and Ring, state that this incident occurred on 24 December but Ota Jirovec has kindly provided me with an excerpt from John Foreman's Fighter Command War Diaries that describes the combat between 401 Sqn, RCAF and Stab/JG 77 on 25 December in which it is stated that Wiese was shot down on that day. I should note that Jim Perry some time ago kindly posted a list of Bf 109 fighters lost on 24 December 1944 and Wiese's fighter is not included. Does anyone have any loss list information on Wiese's fighter such as werknummer, tactical code, etc. or at the least any definite information as to on which date did this incident take place? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Horrido!

Leo
Old 30th January 2006, 22:03

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road
Re: Major Johannes Wiese

The report issued by Maj. Wiese concerning his being shot down while on a practice mission on December 25th, 1944, is published in Part IV of the JG 77 history, page 2233. Both Wiese and his wingman Fw. Hansch were shot down by Spitfires near Euskirchen, Wiese baling out wounded whereas Fw. Hansch was shot down and killed.

Take off time was 11.20 hrs., the time of the crash of Fw. Hansch was 12.03 hrs.

Hope this helps.

Jochen Prien
Old 31st January 2006, 05:16
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
Major Johannes Wiese

Hello Mr. Prien

Many thanks for your kindness in taking the time from your schedule to aid me through your response. I greatly appreciate it and the question that I had is fortunately now cleared up due to you. Many thanks sir!

Horrido!

Leo