Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 17th February 2020, 16:35

Mikkel Plannthin
Q on how to identify units under AAF command? (Danes in US AAF service)

Is there a simpel way to identify a US AAF unit from a 'regular' Army unit, e.g. via order of battle, command structure?

To explain this question please allow me som background information on this perhaps simpel question:

I have been researching Danes in Allied air force service for nearly 20 years. Some of you may be familiar with my work via my website www.danishww2pilots.dk or my book 'Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom' (Fonthill Media, 1917) on the approximately 250 Danish nationals, who volunteered for air forces around the world.

I have always had difficulties in finding Danes in US air force - army, navy, marine - service. Very few are mentioned in Danish sources after the war including the documents related to the award of the King Christian X Memorial Medal 1940-45. At the same time, it was estimated in 1946, that 3,000 Danes enlisted in the US armed services.

For the past couple of months I have tried a for me new approach in that I have downloaded data on the approximately 2,000 men and women in the US Army Enlistment Records, who were born in Denmark (according to the data). This past week I concluded the first screening of the 670 or so individuals categorized as 'white, not yet a citizen'. Only one enlisted in the AAC. For more info please see here: http://www.danishww2pilots.dk/articles.php?article=46

The result of the first screening (done using sources from Ancestry, newpapers.com and Fold3) is that I have found 61 men, who seems to have been serving in the AAF (in air and on the ground). But I may miss some as unit information is not that easy to find. In many cases I have had to rely on obituaries or the headstone inscription, but this is of course not a very accurate source.

In many cases the best information is unit information on the Petition for Naturalization (under section 701 of the Nationality Act of 1940), i.e. about six months after enlistment.

One example is Sgt Mogens M Moller (ASN 32883886), cf http://www.danishww2pilots/dev/profiles.php?person=433 He enlisted in the US Army in April 1941. When naturalised in Sep 1943, he was in training in Company D, 38th ITB, Camp Croft, SC. Then I loose track of him before he is KIA over Zagreb in March 1945. He is then serving in 301st BG, 353rd BS as a waist gunner. If I had not had the last piece of information, I would have concluded that he had stayed on the ground.

Other examples would be 'Chem Com (AO)', Anti-Aircraft units etc.

This leads to my initial question: is there a way to establish if a unit was under AAF control and hence the man serving in 'an Allied air force' from the unit alone, or would one need to consult the individual service records (if they still exist).

Thank you for any advice on how to proceed this work.

Mikkel Plannthin
Old 18th February 2020, 17:35

Mikkel Plannthin
Re: Q on how to identify units under AAF command? (Danes in US AAF service)

To give an idea of the work, that I am doing I have published my the database that I am using to track the Danes and Danish-Americans enlisted in the US Army.

You'll find it here
http://danishww2pilots.dk/usenlistment.php

Mikkel
Old 18th February 2020, 18:07
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Hello Mikkel,

After such a long time searching, I cannot know what you know. Perhaps the following is something you have not seen.

https://www.danesusawwii.com/armed-f...nt-marine.html

Various places in the United States were home to persons from various countries in Europe. I recall, many years ago, attending the funeral of a war veteran. Included was the original letter stating he had been shot down over Austria during the war.

Then there is this museum:
https://www.danishmuseum.org/

Perhaps you can contact the various Danish consulates and embassies in the US:
https://www.immihelp.com/denmark-emb...ulates-in-usa/

Just before he turned 65, my mother had me call the Polish Embassy in Chicago to get a birth certificate for my father in order for him to qualify for Social Security. It took one year to arrive.

Danish veterans who served in the US Armed Forces are certainly not forgotten.
https://sldinfo.com/2018/11/danish-m...g-their-needs/

Best,
Ed
Old 18th February 2020, 18:21

Mikkel Plannthin

Thank you, Ed. I admit that it is difficult to know, what I already know. I am familiar with and have been in contact with some of the links you mention, but not all.

Your help is much appreciated!

Mikkel

Tags
danish-american, usaaf