Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 16th March 2023, 00:41

GoranA is on a distinguished road
Re: Yugo Partisan ships sunk ect by aircraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Pratt III View Post
on the axishistoryforum.com The Allies and Neutral States in General section there is a new post (From Soviet Empire) Chronology of Yugoslavian, Greek Partisan naval actions (and Sabotage of other partisan groups)

Yugoslav partisan ships sunk and damaged by aircraft

24 Feb 43 PB Partisan sunk Italian Seaplane off Pogdara

sunk by Luftwaffe

13 Nov 43 PB Partisan III and Small boat captured by the Crusiet Niobe and TA- 20 after being damaged by air attack.

27 Dec 43 PB PC-61 Udar and PG NB_5 Ivan sunk aircraft

28 Dec 43 PB PC-60 Vjekoslava sunk aircraft

14 Jan PB PC-24 Marjan damaged and 1 sailor KIA PC-54 Turist off Vis by aircraft

20 Mar 44 PG NB1 Krava and NB-6 Napredak sunk aircraft

23 Mar 44 PC-5 and PC-70 Mandina sunk aircraft

3 Jun 44 Unconfirmed Messerschmitt claim NB-3 Jadram off Brac

Friendly fire incidents

11 May 44 NB-4 Topcider damaged Allied aircraft

11 Sep 44 PC-21 Miran strafed 1 WIA British Aircraft off Pag Island

12 Sep 44 PC-75 sunk 3 slight WIA 6 Hurricanes

21 Oct 44 NB-13 sunk British air raid off Olib Island 2 WIA

PB patrol Boat
PG Gunboat

I hope this is of some use. How is the database of ships sunk, damaged ect by the Luftwaffe coming along? I sent in some more info on Soviet Fugas class minesweepers and Black Sea losses Jul-Dec 1942 and early war losses and haven't got a reply yet. I realize the list will be massive.

According to Freivogel/Rastelli: Adriatic Naval War 1940 - 1945, there was also:

27 Dec 44 PB PČ 67 Kerč sunk off Hvar by German aircraft
Old 16th March 2023, 18:25

James A Pratt III is on a distinguished road

On the 2/ Bordfl.Gr 196 losses: from Luftwaffe-de-See.de which is online and my notes:

2 Sep 43 T3+AM #0374 missing

29 Sep 43 T3+DM #0369 Ltn Norbert Meier (B) & Ofw Wilhelm Eike (FF) both KIA
T3+eM #0372 crew rescued unharmed
notes have both shot down by GC I/3

24 Aug 44 2 destroyed Luftwaffe-zur-see.de has them destroyed on 22 Aug 44
notes have by Seafires 887 Sqn HMS Indefatigable

12 Nov 44 Luftwaffe-zur-see.de no losses
Old 17th March 2023, 16:12

24 Mar 45 #179 "Stumbling bolt, crash due to flak bombardment" Fw Harald Krane (F) & LtnzS Friedrich Ardt (B) both MIA. no other losses
Old 1st May 2024, 17:30

I managed to get the book "Hunting Tito A History of Nachtschlachtgruppe 7 in World War II" Lovro Persen It has:
P57 29 Nov 43 1 sailing vessel of 300-500 tons sunk using bombs by Hs 126 2/NSGr 7
2 ships of between 200-300 tons sunk and 1 damaged He 46s 2 /NSGr 7
p76 13 Feb 44 Partisan ships Mali Ivo, Dva brata, Zora sunk NSGr 7
p83 17 and 18 Mar 44 attacks on big schooner Ilrija 19 Mar wrecked by 2 bomb hits.
19 Mar NB-1 badly damaged bomb hits and ship Zdenka slightly damaged by aircraft machine guns
20 Mar NB-1 sunk schooner Dobra obitel (good family) slightly damaged. later schoooner Bozje ime (God' name) sunk and NB-6 Napredak (Progress) sunk
p84 23 Mar PC-5 sunk and PC-21 Miran and PC-22 Strelijko (shooter) attacked and missed
27 Dec 43 NB-5 sunk German aircraft probably from NSGr 7 and NASt Kroatien
p102 5 May 44 ship sunk He 46 1/NSGr 7
9 May anti-aircraft schooner attacked He 46 then 2 loaded fishing boats and a frieght cutter attacked He 46 later on 5 fishing vessels bombed and destroyed by He 46 all aircraft from 1/NSGr 7

I hope this is of some use for the ships sunk , damaged ect by the Luftwaffe database
Old 2nd May 2024, 00:20
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Here's another comprehensive source on the same subject, i.e., ships sunk/damaged off the Dalmatian coast 1941-45:

Der Seekrieg in den osteuropaeischen Gewaessern 1941 - 45 Hardcover – January 1, 1958
by Jurg. Meister (Author)

L deZ. IV
Old 2nd May 2024, 07:13
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Pratt III View Post
24 Mar 45 #179 "Stumbling bolt, crash due to flak bombardment" Fw Harald Krane (F) & LtnzS Friedrich Ardt (B) both MIA. no other losses
Hallo James. What were the German words that translated as “stumbling bolt”?
Old 3rd May 2024, 06:51
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
Hallo James. What were the German words that translated as “stumbling bolt”?
I think I’ve worked it out: Absturz inf. Flakbeschuß.

This was a standard wording in loss reports and “inf.” is short for “infolge” = “as a result of” so “crash as a result of anti-aircraft fire”.
Old 3rd May 2024, 20:13
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Beware the SUPER MODERATOR:

"His aura of power, his command and confidence, the sense that—whatever he was—he was something humankind wasn't prepared to face."

I would tend to agree, but isn't "inf." also an abbreviation for Infanterie? Although that's a noun so the "I" should be capitalized. It would be helpful to see the original German entry for 24 Mar 45. From the information provided so far, we (I) can't be sure whether the target attacked was a ship or a target on land.

L. deZ.
Old 3rd May 2024, 21:07
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry deZeng View Post
Beware the SUPER MODERATOR:

"His aura of power, his command and confidence, the sense that—whatever he was—he was something humankind wasn't prepared to face."

I would tend to agree, but isn't "inf." also an abbreviation for Infanterie? Although that's a noun so the "I" should be capitalized. It would be helpful to see the original German entry for 24 Mar 45. From the information provided so far, we (I) can't be sure whether the target attacked was a ship or a target on land.

L. deZ.
You’re quite right, Larry, ideally one would see the original before trying to translate it. Reverse engineering is rather tricky!