Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 19th June 2019, 18:24

joeymaddox6666 is on a distinguished road
New Chuck Yeager Film Needs Research on Irmfried Klotz and his FW-190 Crash Site

Ladies and Gentlemen,
My name is Joey Maddox (friend and student of Merle Olmsted) and I am the historical researcher working directly for the Yeagers and the director. Chuck and his wife are with the film crew in France and are trying to film Chuck at the crash site of Irmfried Klotz's FW-190. I have requested Obie O'Brien's encounter report for March 5, 1944 but until I receive it, a big mystery remains. If Obie filed the encounter as "damaged" and later changed it to "probable" after viewing his gun camera footage, no one in the squadron, including O'Brien, must have seen Klotz bail out and die. If anyone can help us solve this mystery or steer us to information that might lead to the crash site of the Butcher Bird, please let me know.
Old 19th June 2019, 20:58
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: New Chuck Yeager Film Needs Research on Irmfried Klotz and his FW-190 Crash Site

Joey,

You should try to contact Gilles Collaveri, who is a member of this Forum and may have help you.

It was Gilles who found Yeager's P-51 that crashed nearby Toulouse...so he may have a glimpse of the Fw 190 crash site either.

Try to find him or wait him to contact you.

Adriano

OBS: By the way, any possible DATE for the new Yeager's movie? Is it a movie or a Documentary???
Old 19th June 2019, 21:01
Alter Hase

Re: New Chuck Yeager Film Needs Research on Irmfried Klotz and his FW-190 Crash Site

https://www.ladepeche.fr/article/201...eroscopia.html

and

https://br.ulule.com/archeologie-aeroscopia/

https://aerocherche.fr/index.php/art...ces-d-un-mythe
Old 19th June 2019, 21:06
Alter Hase

From Gilles's site:
Le Fw 190 (photo 19) qui abattit Chuck Yeager s’écrasa dans le champ d’une localité proche du site de crash de "Glamourus Glen". Le corps du pilote, dont le parachute ne s’était pas ouvert, fut retrouvé sous un sapin. Dans sa combinaison, des objets du quotidien furent découverts : une petite cuillère, la note d’une pharmacie de Châteauroux.

So, apparently Klotz managed to bail out, but his parachute did not open. We don't have a clue why it did not? Was he wounded when he bailed? Did he hit the tail of the plane? Was the parachute with a malfunction or was not 100% operational (folded up)? Questions we may not have answers...

Hope to see a movie about Chuck Yeager very soon...or a documentary....Congratulations to all involved in that "preservation of History"...My kid of 3, when age permit, will see that...be sure of this!

Adriano
Old 19th June 2019, 22:06
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

From an old thread:

Gilles -
There is a 2 Page Mission Report regarding your questions, including
statement from Capt. O'Brien.
Book - To War With The Yoxford Boys by Merle Olmsted Pages 57 , 58.
Imfried Klotz was FW190 Pilot. KIA when Chute Failed.
Note - French Historian Didier Fuentes Researched this Incident, located
Crash Sites of P-51 and FW190, verified Klotz as Pilot.
Mike
Old 20th June 2019, 07:52
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Gilles is your man-he has found both crash sites. I will try to contact him
Old 20th June 2019, 10:43
Alter Hase

gilles collaveri is on a distinguished road

As Mike said, Didier Fuentes is the best person to speak to,

The Yeagers had the contact with him.

GC
Old 20th June 2019, 10:50
Alter Hase

Roger Gaemperle is on a distinguished road

Hello Joey,

I tried to send you a PM, but you have disabled this feature at TOCH. Could you contact me via my website www.vintageeagle.com? I have a question regarding Merle Olmstead. Thank you.

Roger

Old 21st June 2019, 00:20

joeymaddox6666 is on a distinguished road
I am having real problems with this story. I have found NO encounter reports for Obie O'Brien that day. I know he had no victories on March 5, 1944. I don't have access to my research library but it seems that Merle Olmsted said the Obie claimed a "damaged" FW-190 and then later upgraded to a "probably destroyed" claim on that day. Merle would not have written this in his books unless he had the encounter report or Obie told him this personally before he died. French WWII Historian Didier Fuentes is Merle's source for the claim (as for as I can tell from the short Yeager blurb on the Internet) that the FW-190 was piloted by Klotz and he said that the pilot jumped and his parachute did not open. That said, Obie NEVER mentioned shooting down Chuck's assailant in any interview I've heard even though they were good friends. Also, someone at the TOP of the Yeager movie hierarchy told me to dismiss ANYTHING I got from Didier Fuentes because so much of his history has been proven wrong. I smell a legend. I will have the complete 357th FG 6rd FS records from March 1944 if anyone wants a CD copy. Joey

Mike does anyone know how this was verified? I have been tasked to help find the site for the film crew but we can't find any RECORDS of the FW-190 crash to back up what Didier told Merle. No encounter report from O'Brien, no squadronmates confirmation on the attack on the FW-190, no interviews with O'Brien mention this. I'm not from Missouri but I am going to need proof. Unfortunately I do not have my French/German translator to translate Gilles' comments. Jo

Do you have this report? We need it now. Are you with Victoria and the General now? They were at the P-51B crash site the other day. The director said they were not sure where it was and I said well if it hit where they are filming then there are still pieces in the ground. That's when V told me they had the cockpit piece, the plane fragments, and the 50 cal. which should positively identify the plane by the gun's serial number. I could use any email you and your friends could send me in English. Attach it to emails if you can. Cheers. Jo

I sent it to your site. Jo

Gilles,
What evidence does Didier have to prove the crash happened and that the pilot who died was Irfried Klotz (who my research shows was killed at 22 years of age in 1943). As fact checker on the film, I want to help the director get this historically correct. If all we have is a story told to Merle by Fuentes and repeated throughout his books, then sorry, but without proof, it cannot be accepted as fact. Does Didier still have anything in the way of documents or eyewitness accounts (less important), or pieces of aircraft or, guns with serial numbers that match the Butcher Bird? The point is, my research has led to an encounter report by Obie O'Brien on March 5, 1944 that says his and Chuck's flight was jumped by 190s and were fired upon. He singled out one of the attackers and "damaged' this FW-190. Now considering that the Luftwaffe sites ringed Bordeaux, the damaged FW-190 could have just limped the few miles back to the nearest German base. I just have to have proof for the film. Cheers. Jo
Old 21st June 2019, 04:38
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Is the following of any use?

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/irmfried-klotz/

Best,
Ed

Tags
1944, chuck yeager, irmfried klotz, march 5, obie o'brien