Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 15th May 2013, 20:23

pope_chris is on a distinguished road
Please help me confirm the identity of this crash

Hi, my name is Chris Pope. I am new to the forum, and have been eagerly awaiting the expertise of the forum members! I collect WWII German battlefield relics, and I recently purchased several pieces of a Messerschmitt plane crash from an eBay seller in Russia. The details he provides, however, were conflicting according to a fellow eBayer (who recommended I come to this forum for answers). Here is the description he gives of the crash site: "This item was found on the site of the crash near Saint-Petersburg (former Leningrad). Aircraft belonged to Z/B 26"Horst Wessel" №3722 (3U+JH) crashed on August 11 1941." Can anyone confirm that such a crash occurred? I hope it is OK for me to post the auction link (which will show pictures). http://www.ebay.com/itm/Me-Bf-110-Z-...item2a2cd343b3 Thank-you in advance for any information.
Old 15th May 2013, 22:00
Alter Hase

gilles collaveri is on a distinguished road
Re: Please help me confirm the identity of this crash

Hi Chris,

I believe it will be difficult to identify these items if there are no markings or no plate.

You should ask your seller where he got his information from ? (ZG 26 and registration) ; maybe HE has some proof and he could show you ?.

By the way, if it is from ZG26, it is a Me110 not a Me109.

Good luck!

GC
Old 15th May 2013, 22:25

Thank-you, GC for your reply! I just sent the seller an e-mail asking for more information, and also mentioned what you said " if it is from ZG26, it is a Me110 not a Me109." If the seller is correct about the date and location of the crash site, would it be possible to ID the plane from that information?
Old 16th May 2013, 05:38

G.R.Morrison

Bf 110E-2 WNr.3722 of 1./ZG 26, coded 3U+JH
The crew of (pilot) Uffz. Werner Hoffmann & Bordfunker (radio operator/rear gunner) Uffz. Rudolf Kiesewetter were KIA 12.Aug. 1941 in an air battle 30km northeast of Narwa/Lipowo.

GRM

Last edited by G.R.Morrison; 16th May 2013 at 05:38. Reason: typo
Old 16th May 2013, 08:48

Smile Re: Please help me confirm the identity of this crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.R.Morrison View Post
Bf 110E-2 WNr.3722 of 1./ZG 26, coded 3U+JH
The crew of (pilot) Uffz. Werner Hoffmann & Bordfunker (radio operator/rear gunner) Uffz. Rudolf Kiesewetter were KIA 12.Aug. 1941 in an air battle 30km northeast of Narwa/Lipowo.

GRM
Thank-you for the valuable information!!