Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation before the Second World War.

Old 9th November 2020, 12:51
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road
Photos Taube Tripoli 1911

Hello,

Currently on ebay are two postcards showing an Italian operated Taube at Tripoli in 1911 at:

https://www.ebay.it/itm/BB-465-libia...cAAOSwg1lfqFPl

Regards,

Clint
Old 9th November 2020, 16:19
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Photos Taube Tripoli 1911

Nice Clint

Can't say I have seen these two before.

Cheers
Stig
Old 9th November 2020, 16:34
Alter Hase

Thanks,

Me neither. Would you happen to know who manufactured this Taube. Also I'm assuming that the number 5 on the machine predates the introduction of the actual serial system in Italy?

Regards,

Clint
Old 9th November 2020, 17:30

jschreiber is on a distinguished road

Hello

According to the Rivista Aeronautica from 1928, reprinted in the Cronistoria della Aeronautica Militare Italiana (1972), the following planes were involved on the Italian side :
- two Bleriot monoplanes
- three Nieuport
- two Farman
- two Etrich
All the planes were powered by 50 HP engines (Gnome obviously).

Regards
Jean
Old 9th November 2020, 18:13
Alter Hase

Hello Jean,

Thanks. Since posting my response to Stig, I've dug out my copy Col John de Vries 'Taube Dove of War' he has Etrich X going to Italy and 'presumably one of the two Tripoli "bombing" aircraft' so based upon your info it seems this is the case for both machines.Still it would be good to have the individual id of the other aircraft. This one perhaps, at least there's no sign of a 5:

https://www.quora.com/q/omniblog/Whe...lo-Turkish-war

Regards,

Clint
Old 9th November 2020, 18:15
Alter Hase

Clint (Jean)

Checking Gregory Alegi, he says the first Italian Taube was a Lohner built Etrich IX Taube ordered in Feb 1911 and delivered in April by Karl Illner. It was powered by 65hp engine
The second Taube was ordered in the same way and delivered the next year.

No further orders were made.

With regard to the other types mentioned by Jean, they certainly were in service in Italy, and all are indicated as being used in the Libyan war.

Cheers
Stig
Old 9th November 2020, 18:52
Alter Hase

Hi Stig,

Interesting. de Vries has Etrich Taube IX as a KuK machine, but both Jean's post and your last post indicate it must have been an Etrich aircraft, besides having now also checked P M Grosz's WDF 104 on the Taube, I see production rights to the type outside Germany still lay with Etrich after the dispute with Rumpler and subsequent manufacture of the Taube by virtually every other German aircraft manufacturer. What is the Gregory Alegi work?, I'm inclined to take his information as correct given the detail provided by you.

Regards,

Clint
Old 9th November 2020, 19:31
Alter Hase

Hi Clint

The book is I velivoli (La Storica dell'Aeronautica Militare)

With regard to Etrich, did he actually form a factory of his own?
Beside building the few initial gliders/protoypes, my feeling is the made a deal with Lohner and had them mass produce his aircraft and I also believe he let them develop the type (or perhaps they did so together).
Lohner built a lot of Tauben!

If you check the book Flugzeuge der Österreichischen firma Lohner 1909-1923 by Reinhard Keimel. In that one you find that the initial Italian order was for a serie A aircraft (KuK military designation IX) which had been ordered built by the MLG (five aircraft).
The Italian aircraft had Auftragsnummer AC.433 (order receipt 3 Feb 1911 and invoice date 28 March 1911). First flight was made by Karl Illner 26 April 1911

The military designation Etrich X was also a Serie A, but an aircraft which was delivered to Russia.

The book is a real must if you are interested in Lohner and is very, very detailed.

Yes, Etrich was quite rightly a rather unhappy man, and it seems he never got a DM out of Rumpler. He also lost out in court if I remember correctly making the German market totally open for anyone who wanted to use his design features.

Cheers
Stig

PS: The second Italian aircraft was it seems a Serie E and actually an Etrich X, with Auftragsnummer AC.851, order receipt 18 April 1912 and invoice date 11 June 1912. No delivery date has been found by Keimel