Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 17th March 2017, 18:34
Alter Hase

ClinA-78 is on a distinguished road
FW 190 D-9 stencil

Hello,

Not a Dora buff, I would like to be sure this part is upper wing panel where stencil "Nur hier betreten" (Walk only here) lays.
The color is rather amazing for a part awaiting me for 73 years, laying on the forest litter.

Thanks beforehand.

ClinA-78

Last edited by ClinA-78; 9th May 2020 at 11:30.
Old 18th March 2017, 06:22

Crimea River is on a distinguished road
Re: FW 190 D-9 stencil

A very nice find and a great example of the brightness of the Hellgrün RLM82. Here's a diagram from an Eduard model instruction sheet showing the location of your stencil.
Old 18th March 2017, 06:46

Milos Gazdic is on a distinguished road

Yes! I have to say you have an amazing find there ClinA-78!
For sure upper surfaces of the wing's middle area and exactly the area that in standard upper surface camo application would solely be covered by lighter of the two upper camo colors. Saturation of the color you have there is amazing! And again shows a single layer paint application on Luftwaffe metal airframes.
Would you be so kind to tell me if in the left side of the part there are any other colors at least in tiny areas, since part seems large enough to basically touch areas painted with darker upper camo color (be it RLM 81 or 83 - which is now questionable based on recent findings by Mr Ullmann).
Old 19th March 2017, 14:44

Kari Lumppio is on a distinguished road

Hello!!

The paint pigment might be chromium oxide green, which is the color by nature and is very stable. It would explain the good colour on the relic.
For the chrome green pigment colour see for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium(III)_oxide
Or do Google image search with the chrome oxide green.

BTW (Zinc) chromate green is completely different colour and pigment (mix).

Cheers,
Kari
Old 19th March 2017, 15:32

Hello Kari,
I know that Michael Ullmann suggests Zinc Chromate use in later years of the war in Luftwaffe's resin based paints and explains greenish RLM 76 this way but I agree with you that above shown paint didn't contain any of it or at least in much smaller percentage than any other pigment (Chromium being an option for sure) in the paint mix.
Old 19th March 2017, 15:45

RolandF is on a distinguished road

The main difference was those lacquers could be applied witout any primer on bare aluminum.
That´s the reason beacuse those paints reacted so very different on puttied areas. Can be seen on the Me 262, for instance. Prefab wooden components received different primer and lacquer layers as well as primered steel components.

Regards
RolandF
Old 19th March 2017, 19:59
Alter Hase

ClinA-78 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

@Milos : the part shows only this color, no primer. Dora 210264
Be aware it was photographed still wet, in order to enhance it.

I will provide soon pictures of others parts, showing others colors, nearly as bright! Moreover I have also parts from another Dora (600155).

Bye for now.

ClinA-78
Old 19th March 2017, 21:21

Broncazonk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClinA-78 View Post
Hello,

Not a Dora buff...

ClinA-78
Surely he will be banned for this...

Bronc
Old 20th March 2017, 01:10

Crimea River is on a distinguished road

Only after he posts the rest of the pictures.
Old 20th March 2017, 03:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClinA-78 View Post
Hello,

@Milos : the part shows only this color, no primer. Dora 210264
Be aware it was photographed still wet, in order to enhance it.

I will provide soon pictures of others parts, showing others colors, nearly as bright! Moreover I have also parts from another Dora (600155).

ClinA-78
Hello again ClinA-78

Seems my english is not so great so someone thought I suggest usage of primer on wings? quite contrary - I suggested there will be none I just wonder if 2nd camo color would show left of this one on the edge of the part since that's about where demarcation line should be between two colors. It would be nice to know if the wings were painted in two greens - since it's believed that in this batch's run wings were in two greens from W.Nr. 210079 according to JaPo gentleman.

And yes - the part did look moist but still it's very saturated even for such stage. Drying them with hairdryer helps after cleaning. But I always thought that if airframes were ever polished they would keep the look slightly closer to wet than purely dry... A discussion on it's own.

Would love to see 600155's parts too for sure... as other members here. And for the banning - I will vote against

Have a nice day! Regards from Shanghai!
Milos