Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 3rd November 2006, 22:19

Vlad Antipov is on a distinguished road
Re: Forthcoming book - Dragons on Bird Wings A Combat History of the 812th"Sevastopol"IAP

Dear friends!

I hope that you will tell about the opinion on this book.
To us will be very interesting and cognitive.

Regards
Vlad

PS
I have new forces when I read these words -
http://www.internetmodeler.com/2006/...ok_dragons.php
Old 6th November 2006, 09:14

Aviaeology1 is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: Forthcoming book - Dragons on Bird Wings A Combat History of the 812th"Sevastopol"IAP

Hi Vlad,
Here's another opinion.
Cheers,
Terry

http://stonebooks.com/archives/061105.shtml
Old 8th November 2006, 15:52

Andy Fletcher
Re: Forthcoming book - Dragons on Bird Wings A Combat History of the 812th"Sevastopol"IAP

I have just received my copy and I have to say I'm impressed. I've only skimmed through it so far but it's lavishly illustrated with maps, diagrams, profiles and photos and there are extensive claims and loss appendices.

As I say I haven't read it properly yet but the book has the look and feel of quality both in terms of printing and contents (extensively researched from Soviet archives).

Some of the photos are faded but I think that is because of the condition of the original photos not a lack of print quality and in no way detracts from the book as far as I'm concerned.

I can't wait to start reading it properly and look forward to future VVS unit histories by Vlad and Igor

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
Old 6th December 2006, 22:01
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough

Aleksandar Sekularac gives a good review of this book at Hyperscale (www.hypercale.com). Vlad, I ordered your book and hope to see more unit histories from you.
Old 10th December 2006, 21:58

kolya1 is on a distinguished road

I received my copy last week, and my opinion is that it's more than worth its price.

An extremely interesting reading about a subject on which there are too few books and even less good ones.

BTW, did the authors publish other works on similar subjects in Russian language ?
Old 14th January 2007, 04:24
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough

Vlad, I know that Volume 1 just came out but is there a date for Volume 2? Also is there going to be loss section for the aircraft in the unit ?
Old 28th January 2007, 02:54

Kjetil Aakra

Got this book some time ago and have skimmed through it and have now begun to read it in more detail.

The book must be highly recommended, not only to people with a particular interest in VVS, but for students of the Luftwaffe as well. It is very interesting to finally havign a book devoted to the Soviet pilots, their experience and the fate of a VVS unit through hard and intense fighting.

The profiles are excellent, with lots of detail information and the line drawings (12 pages of them) are among the best I have ever seen. The appendices are also very interesting, especially when comparing the claims and losses with their German counterparts.

Congratulations on a fantastic book,

Kjetil Aakra
Old 28th January 2007, 04:48

Aviaeology1 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your kind words Aakra. They are very encouraging.

We will do our very best to keep up such a standard in future works on VVS subjects, including the second volume of "Dragons".
Regards,
Terry @ Aviaeology
Old 28th January 2007, 10:40
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjetil Aakra View Post
The profiles are excellent, with lots of detail information and the line drawings (12 pages of them) are among the best I have ever seen.
I have to second Kjetil's comments on the line drawings, which came as a very pleasant surprise. Reminds me of a similar surprise when I opened Pilawski's opus.

These detailed line drawings alone in Dragons warrant a purchase, especially to people with an interest in Yak-fighters.

Good profiles are becoming more common, but line drawings are a different case. I really do hope that Aviaeology will include such (extra) material in their future publications. The draftsman in question did an excellent job!

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 28th January 2007, 13:40

Kjetil Aakra

Quote:
These detailed line drawings alone in Dragons warrant a purchase, especially to people with an interest in Yak-fighters.
Yes, indeed. I would have bought the book for the drawings alone had I know beforehand how good they were (I saw the preview at the Aviaeology site, but a web browser can't really do justice to what's in the book).

I hope too that we'll se more line drawings of the late-war Yak i the second volume. Can't wait to get my hands on that one!

I also hope this will be the first in a series on SOviet WWII units. Such a series is badly needed.

Kjetil