Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 8th May 2009, 16:48

Ian Lewin is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe convoy attacks Western Med Sept 43 - Jan 44

In the evening of 10/1/44 two Beaufighter VI F's from 153 Sqdn ( based at Reghaia ) intercepted nine low flying Ju88's 40 miles south east of Ibiza.
In the ensuing action one Ju88 was shot down and several others damaged, the formation was forced to retire after dumping their torpedoes. My brother (F/O A M H Lewin) was the Observer in one of the Beau's which was badly damaged in this action and subsequently exploded with no survivors.
I have a detailed report on this action from the crew of the other Beau which suggests that my brothers Beau whilst making a stern attack was being hit by heavy return fire, the bulk of which came from the formation leader which seemed to be 20 or 37 mm. Were some Ju88's equiped with a turret mounted canon ? I was told that it wasn't a Ju188.
Are there any Luftwaffe rreports on this action ?

I have a letter from one of the 153 sqdn pilots descrbiing an action which took place sometime in November/Decmber '43 in which four Beaus from 153 (two of the aircraft being crewed by Americans ) and two French Spitfires imtercepted a 'sneak evening raid'. It seems that at least six German aircraft were shot down. No information was given as to the number or type of the attackers. There is a PRO photo ( of which I have a copy) of some of the crews involved {including my brother) together with their names.
Again I would have thought that the Luftwaffe records might have some reference to this acton. I cannot be more specific as to the exact date.
I do have my brothers Observer log book but this does not give any clues.
Old 8th May 2009, 19:01
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road
Re: Luftwaffe convoy attacks Western Med Sept 43 - Jan 44

As for the convoy attack in Nov/Dec 1943, French fighters intercepted attacks only on one date in the perido, on 26 November: 12 Spitfire of GC I/7 defended a convoy, as did Beaufighters. It was the occasion where the Germans managed to sink the troop transport Rhona, killing more than 1000 me, but at the cost of 8 He 177. Four were claimed by the French pilots.

On 10 January 1944, four French P-39 of GC III/6 Roussilon took part in the convoy battle, intercepting "He 111" and claiming one damaged.
Old 8th May 2009, 21:49
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

My website has pages on two convoy operations in this period:

Convoy "UNTRUE" on 11 November 1943: http://www.ghostbombers.com/kf4/untrue.html

Convoy "ANNEX" on 26 November 1943: http://www.ghostbombers.com/kf4/annex.html

French Spitfires of GC 1/7 made claims while defending ANNEX and a Beaufighter of No. 153 Squadron was lost during that operation.
Old 8th May 2009, 22:05

DB601E is on a distinguished road

All i have about 10.01.1944:
"Gegen 21:30 kehrten einige zum Einsatz gestartete Maschinen nach Salon bzw. Montpellier zurück"
At about 21:30 some aircraft came back from mission to Salon or Montpellier.
You will find some basic information about the attack:
http://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg/44-01.htm
Good source, but in german. If you need help for translating, let me know.
Old 8th May 2009, 23:34
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

About the attack on 10 January 1944, these two extracts come from the Operations Record Book of No. 276 Wing RAF (Signals Intelligence).

This site is always worth checking as well: http://www.convoyweb.org.uk/index.html
Old 27th May 2009, 17:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB601E View Post
All i have about 10.01.1944:
"Gegen 21:30 kehrten einige zum Einsatz gestartete Maschinen nach Salon bzw. Montpellier zurück"
At about 21:30 some aircraft came back from mission to Salon or Montpellier.
You will find some basic information about the attack:
http://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg/44-01.htm
Good source, but in german. If you need help for translating, let me know.
Thanks very much. I will try to get my wife to translate but may get stuck as she is more literarily inclined than technical !! If we get stuck I will make use of your knd offer.
All the best
Ian
Old 28th May 2009, 13:48

mjbollinger is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

A minor correction. To be clear, the transport ship sunk with the loss of over 1,000 US troops was HMT Rohna, not Rhona. This is a common mistake and I thought we should not perpetuate it.

MB
Old 7th June 2009, 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
About the attack on 10 January 1944, these two extracts come from the Operations Record Book of No. 276 Wing RAF (Signals Intelligence).

This site is always worth checking as well: http://www.convoyweb.org.uk/index.html
Thanks for your information it is very helpful
Various questions are raised, for one there seem to be many more He177 involved in these convoy attacks than Ju88s yet the bits of information we have had both from Air Ministry and the Sqdn C/O as well as fellow pilots only talk of Ju88s which as far as I know did not have rear firing cannon.
How does one get access to No 276 Wing ORB reports ? I tried a blanket approach without quoting a convoy code name ( the RAF seem to avoid the official KMS number ) but got a snappy answer to the effect that I was not cleared for access to these reports.
It looks as if "ANNEX" is the likely encounter about which I had a detailed description from one of my brother's fellow officers, except that the tally of enemy a/c was somewhat greater.
If you can enlighten me on any of the above I would be very grateful.
Can you suggest any other sources which I might try. There seems to be a dearth of information on 153 Sqdn and it's activities.
All the best Ian Lewin
Old 9th June 2009, 09:21
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Lewin View Post
How does one get access to No 276 Wing ORB reports ? I tried a blanket approach without quoting a convoy code name ( the RAF seem to avoid the official KMS number ) but got a snappy answer to the effect that I was not cleared for access to these reports.
276 Wing Operqtions Record Book and Appendices: National Archives files AIR26/380, 381 & 382.

There is other material in the ADM (Admiralty) files I think.