Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > The Second World War in General

The Second World War in General Please use this forum to discuss other World War Two related subjects not covered by the main categories.

Old 8th November 2016, 20:29
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point
snipers

I was recently reading about Simo Häyhä of Finland, apparently the leading sniper of WWII.

The recent US movie, "Sniper" was a huge success in the US. Does anyone know of the leading US sniper in WWII, be it USA or Marine?

THKS
Old 13th November 2016, 06:07

Broncazonk is on a distinguished road
Snipers

The top US sniper of all time was probably in Korea. (Lot's of Chinese in the open.) When I was a kid, the man living two houses down the block was a USMC sniper in WWII and Korea. He had, "about 30 in the Pacific, and over 150 in Korea." And in Korea he said that wasn't a big number. (Will always remember the mason jars of Japanese gold teeth, and all the Chinese gear he had.)

Knew another Marine who served in Korea who had 70-plus, and he was just a guy who liked being on the line and going on patrols.

Col. David Willis, (yes, I met him at Quantico, yes, he actually is a GOD) said the top scores were in Korea. Col. Chandler at Camp Lejeune said the same thing: Korea.

For WWII, it's probably Army, but that's a guess.

For Vietnam, it's a mess. USMC: Charles 'Chuck' Mawhinney (103 confirmed kills and 216 probable) Carlos Hathcock (who I met in Quantico at OCS)(93 confirmed kills and 300 to 400 probable) / USA: Adelbert F. Waldron (109 confirmed kills and unkn probable) The 'real' answer depends on the probables.

Bronc