Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 26th January 2009, 23:08

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road
" Italian weather report "

Gentlemen,

in order to correctly allocate a number of photos of III./JG 53 I need to know some details of the weather conditions in Northern Italy between early December 1943 and the end of January 1944, especially the areas around Reggio nell' Emilia and around Udine.

From a number of original sources I understand that on Decmber 3rd heavy snow falls started which hampered all aerial activities of III./JG 53 from Reggio nell' Emilia until well into the month. Snow falls also prevented the transfer of the flying echelons of the Gruppe from Reggio and Parma to Villaorba originally planned for December 19th which could only be carried out on December 24th.

This would lead to the assumption that the landscape around Reggio must have been covered with snow - and thus appear white on photo - for the whole period starting on December 3rd. It would also suggest that with the continuing snow falls the landscape would have been white well into January 1944.

My questions therefore are:

Is it correct, that the North of Italy, in particular the areas around Reggio and around Udine, were covered with snow throughout this period ?

And if so, until when did the snow last ?

I would be very happy if someone out there would be able to answer these questions.

Regards

Jochen Prien
Old 6th February 2009, 10:20

micky
Re: " Italian weather report "

Hello Mr. Prien, i'm Michele from Reggio Emilia.
I'm involved in researches about planes shot down in my area, and on partisan warfare. The aerial photos taken before and after the allied bombing of january 8, 1944 (Reggiane aircraft factory) show NO sign of snow. Some old men remember that the winter was "very light". Only in second part of january 1944, some little snow appeared.

By the way, a witness told me about an accident occurred in the winter 1943 at Reggio airbase. He remember a "german fighter" having some engine problems over the airdrome. The pilot bail out, but his chute failed to open.
Do you have some confirm in the III./JG 53 about this kind of losses?

Another "german fighter" went down in may 1944, some miles northwest of the airfield. I wonder if he belong to III./JG 53, can you help? many thanks
Old 11th February 2009, 18:10

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road

Dear Michele,

many thanks for your kind response and please excuse my late answer - I have been to Rome for a most enjoyable long weekend so that I only found your posting upon my return.

Your remarks concerning the amount and duration of snow covering the ground around Reggio match with some of my sources whereas others state the contrary - snow throughout most of December. The only photos showing snow that I have with reliable information as to the dates they were taken all come from the end of January to mid-February 1944, which of course would support what you have to say.

Anyway. The loss you are referring to over Reggio in the winter 1943/44 is difficult to allocate to a specific loss report; the most likely candidate - if this was an a/c of III./JG 53 - would seem to be Lt. Alfred Thoms of Stab III./JG 53, who crashed to his death at the a/f perimeter at Reggio Emilia on December 8th, 1943, while performing a circuit after take off for a weather recconnaissance flight. However, the WASt.-report does not mention a futile attempt to bale out.

The information concerning the May-44-loss seem a bit vague; probably you can come up with a little more specific data.

Again, many thanks for your kind assistance.

Regards

Jochen Prien
Old 12th February 2009, 08:37

micky

Thank you Mr. Prien, for the second loss i have a witness statement, in may 1944 he remeber a "german plane" that went down near Santa Vittoria, about 20-25 kms north west of Reggio. The pilot baled out unhurt, and was rescued by the locals, the plane crashed in a field, exploding. The witness, a child in 1944, was later hurt in attempt to open some 13mm cartridges from the plane, and lost his left eye and some fingers...

The statement had a confirmation in the following document
Old 12th February 2009, 14:36
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point

This accident report , maybe, to a Bf109 shot-down by spitfires 3 km , motorshot , away Montefiascone Ge. Oeser/öser lothar bail-out at something like 16h00

Remi

III.JG53,
Old 13th February 2009, 08:08

micky

Thank you Remi, but this is not the same plane. Montefiascone is about 250 kms south, in the other side of the Appennine mountains.
Old 13th February 2009, 10:04
Alter Hase

Right it is a well known place, but there is a Montefiascone westward of Reggio dell'Emilia...

remi
Old 13th February 2009, 10:34

micky

Remi, i live in Reggio since 1967, and there is not a place called Montefiascone. The only place with a similar name is Montefalcone, 15 km South Reggio, in the first hills near appennine.

The localities westward Reggio are: Pieve, Cella, Cadè, Sant'Ilario, Cavriago (also satellite of Reggio Airfield, know as Cavriago I) and Montecchio (another Reggio Main satellite airstrip, know as Cavriago II). The "unknow" plane went down just aside of the little village of San Bernardino, the nearest localities are Santa Vittoria, Gualtieri, Guastalla and Novellara.

May be was a mistyping in your source?
Old 13th February 2009, 16:17
Alter Hase

You are pretty right Michele, the action was in the Viterbo Area, typing Montefiascone in internet I don't care that they just returned Montefalcone occurence, the other losses JG77 are in the same area lago di Bracciano

Remi
Old 13th February 2009, 16:19
Alter Hase

I would be interest to where come from the pre-report you shown us ??

Remi