Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 15th August 2006, 07:26

gertjan68 is on a distinguished road
Question Estonians in Luftwaffe service

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, so forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this specific question. In that case I ask the moderators to move this post to a more appropriate place.

I am looking for records on Estonians in Luftwaffe service, especially those working on Reval-Laksberg (Tallinn-Lasnamäe).

Until now I only found bills about the purcase of wood to the fliegerhorstkommandantur of the airfield in the state archives of Estonia http://ais.ra.ee

I hope someone can help me with some more information about them.

Thanks in advance,

Gertjan
Old 15th August 2006, 08:13

Kari Lumppio is on a distinguished road
Re: Estonians in Luftwaffe service

Hello!

There is only very little archival material of Luftwaffe at Riigiarhiiv. Alltogether some 2-3 dozen pages IIRC in fond "Luftwaffe hooldusohvitser" (don't remember anymore the exact wording). The fond can be found in the archive findbook (part I). The material contains very long list of names of Estonians serving in Luftwaffe, but no mention what was their tasks etc.

Riigiarhiiv has also so called "Party archive" section which could contain personal materials for those accused and sentenced for serving in German forces. Problem with them is that you have to know the names etc. and there are the normal restrictions which are put on personal records elsewhere too.

At Tallinn-Lasnamägi operated a aircraft maintenance depot belonging to the Espenlaub (civil) organization. They overhauled among others Ju 88s )some of their tehcnical drawings and tools later were sold to Finland in about 1943 when Espenlaub moved away from Tallinn). Many Estonians served in this depot and not in the military.

There is also an Estonian society for former air force personnell (including those who served in Luftwaffe). They do have monthly meetings (at least until this Spring) and I remember there were some men who had served at Tallinn-Lasnamägi.

Actually I would like to have more specific question to be able to help. Are you for example searching for some person?

Regards,
Kari
Old 15th August 2006, 15:07

Smile Re: Estonians in Luftwaffe service

Hello Kari,

I am indeed looking for two persons, being Erich and Raul Kiil, the grandfather and his brother of my girlfiriend. Raul has been promoted to Gefreiter in 1942 and Obergefreiter in 1944. No information on Erich Kiil, other than that he was released from the RAD on 30.12.42 (fond R-67 N1 S10, page 5)

I will take a look for the fondnumber, unless you know it by heart. Do you have photo's of that period?

Thanks for your help so far. There is indeed very little on the Luftwaffe in the riigiarhiiv, and if you're not able to read Estonian, it's even harder....

Do you have and adress or internet site of the society you mentioned? maybe I can get in touch with them to see if they have additional information
Old 15th August 2006, 20:36

Kari Lumppio is on a distinguished road

Tere!

The Riigiarhiiv fond is R-43 "Eesti vabatahtlike lennuväeüksuste hooldusohvitser", 6 files, 1942-44.

"Lennuväelaste" association does not have homepage nor do I have even any official postal address for them. Hendrik Arro is the head of the society and I have made all my contacts via him. I've managed to misplace his visit card but should be able to send the info to you in Private Message within couple of days (I don't trust my memory only any more).

There is not anyone named Kiil among the registered members nor mentioned in Hendik Arro's book "Eesti lendurid lahigute tules". You probably are aware of that book?

At Lasnamägi was Werftabteilung 101 plus guarding and Flak units.

Cheers,
Kari
Old 16th August 2006, 08:16

Tere, Kari!

Thanks for your help. In october I will visit the Riigiarhiiv again and look through those files. At least now I have a clue where to look for more information, tanan for that.

As stated before, the Luftwaffe is not my main field of interest,so I am somewhat handicapped compared to all airforce buffs in this forum.

Greetings, Gertjan