Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 5th October 2012, 13:17

frankiestein is on a distinguished road
RAF 615sqn Hurricane 1 V6618 5th feb 1941

Hello everyone! I am a new member & would be most grateful; for any help with this please! I am trying to find the fate of this Plane, (Hurricane 1 V6818) which was involved in a mid air collision with another Hurricane of 615 Sqn,P/O S.Czternastek (V7598) that Plane crashed locally & the Pilot was killed. he is buried at Hawkindge cemetary.
also from 615 Sqn,V6618 Pilot,B.Wydrowski baled out & landed safely with slight abrasions & was flying again within 10 days!But I can find nothing at all of what happened to his Plane V6618 anywhere. I have orbs 540 & 541 for them both & have applied for forms 78 & 1180 to see if they show up where it crashed? PO Wydrowski survived the war, returned to Poland & lived until 1994 & is buried there. I am trying to compile a full account of this occurance & P/O Wydrowskis flying records too.I do have some records of P/O Czternastek for the RAF & PAF too. I also plan to erect a small memorial locally & send amended corrected copies of the Pilots records & details of this incident to the descendants of both Pilots families in Poland.The Polish websites have many discrepancies regarding this, one of the main ones is that PO wydrowski was killed in the collision...............he survived, so thats got to be put right for starters!
Ive requested the forms mentioned above from the RAF Museum, as the national archives seems very hard work to me, but thats probably my lack of site navigation skills............ anyone know anything of this one please? all the best frankiestein

Last edited by frankiestein; 5th October 2012 at 15:34.
Old 18th May 2013, 11:54
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: RAF 615sqn Hurricane 1 V6618 5th feb 1941

Frankiestein

Since P/O Wydrowski baled out over Dover, there is a good chance the Hurricane ended up in the drink. Anyway V6618 is classified as a total loss that day.

Cheers
Stig
Old 18th May 2013, 17:03
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Frankenstein, as new member you may not be familiar with some forum operational issues. You duplicated your post. I have removed the duplicate.

Sometimes the board is a little slow. Be patient. Also, just because you do not get a quick reply, does not mean that people are not checking your thread out. The right person, with the right information, may not have seen your post. This is not always an instantaneous reply forum. Again, be patient.
Old 18th May 2013, 17:47

frankiestein is on a distinguished road

Hi There,John & Stig & Many thanks, yes I hadnt intended to duplicate the post, just correct a typo detail re: (aircraft number mis-typed in one place, thats all) in the post, but obviously I duplicated it in error. Ive not been on for a few months due to a House move & no decent internet conection until recently. There is a chance that V6618 did end up in the Sea, as the collision was close to the Coast.But as the records of these sorties were mostly destroyed due to Luftwaffe bombing of 615 sqns base,much has not been easy for me to find. What I still would like to discover is,does anyone have any accident report cards or casualty details regarding this collision between Hurricanes V7598 & V6618 or any personal knowledge of either of these Pilots? There is plenty regarding Czternastek, but little regarding Wydrowski, but I have discovered that he left the Raf around 1942/3 & transferred to the Polish army in the uk. he returned to his native poland in 1946, where he remained until he died in 1994.

Last edited by frankiestein; 18th May 2013 at 17:52. Reason: typo again!