Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 27th December 2019, 15:20

AMC is on a distinguished road
Best Aviation Book I Have..

"Soviet Union Air Aces – 1941-1945". Trojca.

I have many decent Aviation books, but I must say this is the best book by a mile I have ever purchased.
It is stunning, no other word.
A poor second only to it would be the "Eagles Over The Pacific" series by Hickey.

As an aside the Japanese Carriers book by Trojca is a great disappointment, it IS full of carrier construction details etc., but the operational details are sparse to say the least, and where are the many profiles we have come to expect from this publisher. Not there!, I was hoping for an "Essex" type book (75 pages of aircraft Profiles alone), but not present here I'm afraid...
Old 27th December 2019, 18:32
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Best Aviation Book I Have..

AMC, the Japanese Carriers book is by your description a must have then! It emphasizes details crucial to me.
Old 27th December 2019, 18:57

AMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
AMC, the Japanese Carriers book is by your description a must have then! It emphasizes details crucial to me.
This book was printed for your kind of interest.
You will be pleased......
Old 28th December 2019, 17:59
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

If the Essex volume had 75 pages of aircraft profiles, I would call it cheating the buyer. First, the topic of the book should be the carrier itself. Second, to non-modellers general profiles are pretty useless. They show no construction detail, no accurate dimensional data and especially useless for performance and handling information.