Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 22nd March 2010, 16:44

Steve49 is on a distinguished road
Dieppe

Whilst examining all of the sorties and claims of squadrons flying during the Dieppe raid I've come across a number of part claims for which I have not been able to discover the other pilot/pilots; these are:

About 0830 S/Ldr R. Newton (411 Sqn) shared a destroyed Fw190 with ??

About 1340 F/Sgt M. Pepek (303 Sqn) sharded a destroyed Fw190 with ??

About 1450 Sgt J. Liskutin (312 Sqn) sharded a destroyed Do217 with a Spitfire from another squadron (aircraft coded either 'BX' or 'IX').

In each case I've not been able to match the claim up with another partial claim. In the case of Sgt Liskutin the 'Woods' claim list gives him full credit, but the ORB is clear it was shared with another Spitfire.

Additionally can anybody confirm whether Hurricane II BN219 saw any further service after the raid. It is listed as Cat B after suffering extensive damage following a force-landing north of Newhaven, but the damage seems so severe that it may have been written off.

Any ideas/information greatfully received. Thanks.

Regards,

Steve
Old 22nd March 2010, 22:35
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Dieppe

For Pepek read Popek and as you probably know BX or IX do not match
Old 22nd March 2010, 23:14

Peter S is on a distinguished road

Steve,
F/Sgt Mieczyslaw Popek (not Pepek) from 303rd:

"After arriving over the patrol area, I saw about 20 Fw.190's in lose formation at various heights. I was flying at 6,ooo ft. when I saw 1 Fw.190 being attacked by a Spitfire. At a range of 300 yds. I fired at the e/a beam astern and saw it roll on its back and the pilot bale out. I do not know to which squadron the Spitfire belonged with which I shared the destruction of the Fw.190."
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:20

VoyTech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
F/Sgt Mieczyslaw Popek (not Pepek) from 303rd
Peter, this has been pointed out to you before: RAF and its affiliated allied and Commonwealth units were identified by cardinal numbers (such as "No. 2" = "Number Two") whereas ordinal numbers (such as "2nd" = "Second") were applied to USAAF units. When you refer to No. 303 (Polish) Squadron as "303rd" it is about as incorrect as calling F/Sgt Popek "Pepek".
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:21

David Sumerauer

Correct initials for Sgt Liskutin are MA (Miroslav Antonin Liskutin). Snapshots from his gun camera footage depicting destruction of D0 217 are in IWM collection under reference C3193

Another combat footage (24 September 1943) of later S/Ldr M.A. Liskutin DFC, AFC can be seen at http://history.virtualfighters.cz/Liskutin.html

Regards.
David
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:07

Steve49 is on a distinguished road

Yes Popek, not Pepek sorry my typo when writing the post.

Yes I am aware the squadron codes don't match up, though I guess it's not surprising considering the brief time he would have had to observe them.

One suggestion is that the 'other' pilots were shot down and not able to make a claim. In the case of S/Ldr Newton this is a possibilty (five Spitfires were lost around this time), but does not seem so for the other two incidents as no Spitfires were lost at these times.

Regards,

Steve