Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th September 2018, 14:29

stefaan
Re: Axis airplanes captured by Allied troops on Klagenfurt airfield, Austria, 1945

Hi Dirk.
I see you are mentioning that they found Ju 52s found at Klagenfurt.
Can you please send me details of those please
Thx
Stefaan
Old 5th September 2018, 15:49

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough
Re: Axis airplanes captured by Allied troops on Klagenfurt airfield, Austria, 1945

Stefaan

Sent.

Steve
Old 5th September 2018, 16:02

ChristianK is on a distinguished road

While we are at this topic again - Does anyone know the Verbandskennzeichen/unit codes of the Hs 126s found at Klagenfurt?

In the pictures I have access to I count at least five of them (coded ??+EL, ??+KL, perhaps ??+IL and two unknown). I guess most or all of them did belong to Nachtschlachtgruppe 7, so they might have been marked either "4X" or "9H" (the latter was the unit code of Nahaufklärungsgruppe Kroatien, where these Hs 126 likely originated from). Is there any info or documentation on this?

Cheers,
Christian
Old 5th September 2018, 18:09

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough

Sadly no. FIU Report No. 39 refers to 3 Hs 126s but gives no markings details. It does comment that the Hs 126s were probably used against the 'Jugo-Slavs'. It further mentions that: One of the Henschel 126 has an attachment under the fuselage filled with four ETC 50-VIIId bombslips capable of carrying in all 4 - 100 lb. bombs.

I've got a decent quality photo of + EL but no Verbandskennzeichen can be made out.
Old 5th September 2018, 18:49
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianK View Post
I guess most or all of them did belong to Nachtschlachtgruppe 7, so they might have been marked either "4X" or "9H" (the latter was the unit code of Nahaufklärungsgruppe Kroatien, where these Hs 126 likely originated from). Is there any info or documentation on this?

Cheers,
Christian
According to the loss lists in Lovro Persen's "Hunting Tito", in NSG 7 the Hs 126 only served with the 2. Staffel, which should rule out an "L" code. To be pedantic it was only Nahaufklärungsstaffel Kroatien, not a Gruppe, but I don't have any examples of Hs 126 codes only some Werk Nummern.
Old 5th September 2018, 19:30

Thank you both for the quick reply. And of course, Staffel not Gruppe. You are right, Nick.
And in regard to the "L": I figured this might have been one the cases which occured in the last days of war, when older tactical markings were carried on with their planes to new units without a change. But all these Hs 126 are marked pretty consistently and not like a rag-tag bunch assembled from various sources. So I guess they could very well have belonged to a "real" 3. Staffel of another unit.

But to be honest, the number of possible contenders is low. The only other He 126 user besides NSGr. 7 in southeastern Europe at this time was NAGr.12, and there also just its 2. Staffel...

Guess this remains a mystery for now.
Old 5th September 2018, 20:43

stefaan

Hi Guys.
Thx for the help.
It looks like 40 SAAF flew at least one of the Ju 52s on the base.
The Ju 52s flown by the SAAF is a real problem.
I have photos of a number of them but CQ HH I still need a photo as it was found in the desert.
It is recorded that it was found in the desert and came to the Union, at least after the War. It is noted as named Sidi Haneish, but I don't have a photo of it.
That a/c may have been found at Sidi Haneish as it looks like the SAAF named them according to where they were found.
I also have two a/c that I can see were restored but not painted into SAAF colours yet.
C3+KH
1Z+AK W.Nr. 7605.
Don't know if anybody has any gen on them.
If so if you can find out where they were found one may be able to link them to a SAAF serial.
Stefaan
Old 5th September 2018, 22:18

Merlin will become famous soon enoughMerlin will become famous soon enough

The Nahaufklärungsstaffel Kroatien flew since May 1944 with the unit code 9H+xL.
Old 5th September 2018, 22:34

Ok, thanks Gerhard for this info, very appreciated! This sounds like a match. May I ask which is your source (or sources) for this?
Old 6th September 2018, 01:05

cproyston is on a distinguished road

I also have the Klagenfurt Hs126s noted as Nahaufklärungsstaffel Kroatien. I believe a description of the most reproduced photo in the Luftwaffe Verband first made the assertion of the 9H unit code being applied, but I’ve never seen one.

BTW at least another 4 identically marked (at least in terms of Luftflotte 4 ID markings) were photographed at Bad Aibling (and seen/found on Marc’s excellent Flickr page):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/280920...7631640861826/

Cheers,
Chris