Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 5th June 2020, 20:26

SteveR is on a distinguished road
Re: The Fighting Corsairs: The Men of Marine Fighting Squadron 215 in the Pacific during WWII

IIRC Corsairs Over Rabaul, published by Kagero, has some info on VMF-122 and VMF-215, though most of the book deals with VMF-214 and VF-17.

I can try to find where it's hiding in my library and double check if you'd like.
Old 5th June 2020, 20:41

James S. is on a distinguished road
Re: The Fighting Corsairs: The Men of Marine Fighting Squadron 215 in the Pacific during WWII

Thank you Steve,I would like to know what's in it. I would love to see someone do something on VMF-124 & VMF-213.

James
Old 5th June 2020, 21:56

Lagarto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
IIRC Corsairs Over Rabaul, published by Kagero, has some info on VMF-122 and VMF-215, though most of the book deals with VMF-214 and VF-17.
This one is also by me It's older and smaller (fewer pages, smaller size) than the the monograph I linked before, a booklet in fact, but nevertheless full of great stories. It has 70 pages of text (not 56, as stated at Amazon) and eight sheets of very nice line drawings (I'm not a modeller, but they look very professional to me).

https://www.amazon.com/Corsairs-Raba...224/ref=sr_1_2
Old 6th June 2020, 04:00

I got tied up so late to the party but I'll give an independent verification that Corsairs Over Rabaul is worth getting as well.

Another one I ran across on my shelves while searching for the above book is Aerial Combat Escapades by J. hunter Reinburg. It's the memoirs of a USMC ace who scored most of his victories while flying Corsairs with VMF-122 in 1943.
Old 20th June 2020, 18:14

The Fighting Corsairs: The Men of Marine Fighting Squadron 215 in the Pacific during WWII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
I got tied up so late to the party but I'll give an independent verification that Corsairs Over Rabaul is worth getting as well.

Another one I ran across on my shelves while searching for the above book is Aerial Combat Escapades by J. hunter Reinburg. It's the memoirs of a USMC ace who scored most of his victories while flying Corsairs with VMF-122 in 1943.
Hi Steve, I ordered the Reinburg book and it came in a few days ago. Thank you so much for the recommendation as I had never heard of that book before.

James
Old 21st June 2020, 06:07

Edward is on a distinguished road

web page for The Fighting Corsairs The Men of Marine Fighting Squadron 215 in the Pacific during WWII
"It looks at the war through the eyes of some of the greatest fighter pilots of all time, including Bob Hanson, the “Maharajah of Rabaul,” and highest scoring Corsair pilot in history."

I am wary of any history book that would describe 1st Lt. Robert M. Hanson (MOH) as one of the greatest fighter pilots of all time. Bruce Gamble and another well regarded author of USMC history have noted that many of Hanson's claims were made without any corroborating witnesses (other Marine pilots). Reference: Target Rabaul (Zenith 2013) by Bruce Gamble p. 300-306
Old 14th October 2020, 18:17
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Available now from the publisher.
Old 14th October 2020, 18:27

Amazon now has their "Look Inside" feature going for this book so I "looked inside." It seems there's nothing for VMF-215's opponents beyond "Zekes" and "Kates" (presumably from 215's ACA reports). No unit identifications, no aircrew names, etc.

Quite disappointing.
Old 14th October 2020, 21:17

The Fighting Corsairs: The Men of Marine Fighting Squadron 215 in the Pacific during WWII

Ordered a copy from Barnes & Noble yesterday. Can't wait for it to come in.
Old 15th October 2020, 17:30

When it arrives could you please let us know if there is any info in the book on VMF-215's opponents in any of their combats?