Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 17th September 2016, 22:13

nchistory is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe KG100 KIA June 18, 1944

Hi, hope anyone can help me, I'm seeking information on a member of KG100 that was KIA June 18, 1944, or close to that date. I seek information Hermann Kenter that is reported as a member of this unit. I know very little of WW2, and even less of the Luftwaffe. I have seen a squadron history of KG100, but all copies seen thus far are in German, and of no help to me.

Would like to find any and all information on Hermann Kenter, any reports on how he was KIA, after action report, mission objective, anything. Mostly I would like to know where he is buried hoping one day to get a photo of his grave, somewhere in Western France.

A friend in Germany provided the information below, hopefully someone in this group can help provide me with some history on this flight crew member.

I have his uniform, visor cap, letter, and photo.

Hermann Kenter was born in 1919 in Schöttmar/Detmold in northern Germany.
His father (werner) was a teacher, his mother was a housewife. This family used to have a nice farm and wasn't really poor.
Anyways; he passed school and since he was in "the right age" he joined the youth movement of the nationalists pretty early in 1932 - when these organizations all became one (Hitler jugend) - he joined the "Luftwaffe HJ".
That's where he also made the license to fly non engine planes already at a pretty young age.
Right after the HJ, he joined (as a volunteer) the Luftwaffe as a bomber crew member and became a part of the Kampfgeschwader 100.
He has taken apart in most likely each battlefield this geschwader saw...Poland..Norway..Battle of britain...eastern front..southern front (Sicily)...operation "Steinbock"..and last but not least in France..that's also where he was killed in action. Just 12 days after operation Overlord (DDAY) has begun.
His grave is in western France, the lady didn't remember the name of the city unfortunately; but he's not lost in action or something...his family immediately got mailed that their son/brother was kia.

That's all the information i have so far!

I do appreciate any and al information, and any direction. Thank you,

Chris Carroll
Old 18th September 2016, 09:05
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Luftwaffe KG100 KIA June 18, 1944

A search of the German War Graves database does not show anybody by that name dead in June 1944. For all of 1944 there are only four Kenters recorded and none of them is a Hermann.

From a quick look, the recent French history of KG 100 does not include any Kenter among the known personnel of the unit. The same book shows only one aircraft lost between 14 and 23 June; this was on the 17th, and again no Kenter in the crew.
Old 18th September 2016, 09:12
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

The uniform appears to be for a Bordfunker. Someone who had flown that long would no doubt be well decorated & recorded in many of the award books?
Old 18th September 2016, 13:37

Karsten is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have a Hermann Kenter in my database, but not as a Member of KG 100.
This man was a member of 2./ JG 5 an was shot down in a Bf 109 G-5/ AS Wnr. 110 043 Area of Dechy in France.

Regards Rüdiger
Source: Mombeek JG 5
Old 18th September 2016, 15:31

Nick, thank you so much for your response, I do appreciate it very much. It helps me verify the story, and possibly he was in another unit.

Member :The Company of Military Historians, Marine Corps Association

civilwarinvestment@gmail.com
Old 18th September 2016, 15:35

Rüdiger, thank you for your response as well, it's possible my friend got the unit wrong. Can you give me any more details on the Kenter in 2./ JG 5? I don't understand what "G-5/ AS Wnr. 110 043" means?

Rüdiger, did he survive being shot down??

Contacted the guy in Germany today. He says the family still has his wherpass, licenses, possibly a photo of his grave. There are as well letters, I may get a copy of also. Hopefully this will help clear this up. Given that most records and histories are incomplete, in the end maybe this will be an addition given primary source documentation. I will follow up.

Old 18th September 2016, 18:36

Hello Chris,

Hermman Kentner was shot down in an Bf 109 G-5/ AS (fighter) with the Werkmummer (factorynumber) 110 043. He was a Fahnenjunkerunteroffizier (Officers candidate) and was killed in the crash.

Regards Rüdiger
Old 18th September 2016, 19:02

Thank you very much Rüdiger, your assistance is very kind. Does it mention the date he was shot down over Dechy, France, action report, or any information or details? This is fascinating history, a new era for me, it's all about those that made the sacrifice. The relics only compliment the story, but yet our physical extension to that story (history). All of you guys have been fantastic, thank you...

Last edited by nchistory; 18th September 2016 at 21:38.
Old 19th September 2016, 09:22

Hello Chris,

some Details from the Book JG 5 Eismeerjäger by Eric Mombeek.

Saturday 27.06.1944

Sorry , my english is nor good, I try to translate the german text.
By this day the Group of I./ JG 5 took part active in the fights of the Normandy. The fighters shall remember alliied fighterbombers, that they are not alone in the sky of the Normandy, as they could mean. In a dogfight FhjUffz. Hermann Kentner (2./ JG 5) is killed , when his Bf 109 crashed near the a/c of Dechy east of Douai.A secon Bf 109 G-6 egt some damage und is able to make a bellyland (100%)
Both machines are shot down by pilotes of the 56th FG/ 62nd FS.

That's what I have.

Best regards Rüdiger
Old 19th September 2016, 10:21
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchistory View Post
I don't understand what "G-5/ AS Wnr. 110 043" means?
Messerschmitt Bf 109, the G-5 model (which had a pressurised cockpit) with the Daimler-Benz DB 605 AS series engine (improved performance over the standard DB 605 A). Werk Nummer (factory serial number) 110 043. Its individual number (painted on the fuselage) was "black 7."

Shot down at Dechy, near Douai in NE France.

Information from Jean-Bernard Frappé « La Luftwaffe face au Débarquement Allié » (Éditions Heimdal, 1999)