Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation after the Second World War.

Old 1st March 2010, 22:23

phasselgren is on a distinguished road
Re: Indonesian Dakota shot down by Dutch Neptune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leendert View Post
Peter,

Dutch is my native tongue, so perhaps I can add some more info after browsing a bit on Dutch websites about the Neptune vs. Dakota encounter. No funny translations here, I hope!

The Neptune (serial 207) was patrolling on the south side of New Guinea, keeping an eye out for Indonesian Migs and Mitchells. The RO then reported a contact in the Kaimana area that was interpreted as para droppings by Indonesian a/c. The contact was 110 miles away however, so a hard catch for the Neptune.
But the tactical coordinator on the Dutch destroyer "Groningen" set out a course and with the two jet engines of the Neptune engaged, they could increase the interception speed. After a while a C-47 was sighted and two short bursts with 20-mm cannons set the left wing of the transport on fire.
The Indonesian crew of seven ditched perfectly and could climb in dinghies, to be picked up by the Dutch destroyer "Friesland" later on the day.
The Dutch pilots were Rein Lub and LTZ 1 Harry Moekadanoe.

That same 17 May 1962 an Indonesian Mitchell was intercepted by another Dutch Neptune (with guidance by the Dutch destroyer "Limburg"), but the Neptune's cannons somehow failed and the Mitchell got away.

Best regards,

Leendert
Thanks Leendert, just what I needed. Can you confirm if Harry Moekadanoe was the first pilot?

Regards,
Peter
Old 1st March 2010, 22:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leendert View Post
Peter,

Found this interesting view about the Indonesian C-130 loss in 1964 in Borneo on following website: http://sgforums.com/forums/1164/topics/382660

Shot down by own gunners?

Regards,

Leendert
Leendert,

I found the same information on another site but the loss mentioned on these sites was over Borneo and the claim by a Javelin was over the Malacca Straits.

Maybe it all started as rumors mixing information from these two incidents.

Cheers,
Peter
Old 30th April 2010, 21:41

lub00055 is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Very interesting to find my name in this site.
You are correct Leendert `t was 17 may 1962 and Moekardanoe was the first pilot and I was his companion and second pilot on this remarkable trip. So I can say definitively that Leendert his search is true.
There were no other RAF planes (Javelins) in this area - Dutch New Guinea.
Regards Rein Lub

Last edited by lub00055; 1st May 2010 at 10:29.
Old 1st May 2010, 15:33
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Welcome Mr. Lub!

The subject itself is a pretty unique event in modern / post WW2 aviation history, but actually getting a response from one of the participants is amazing.

Thank you for sharing.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 2nd May 2010, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by lub00055 View Post
Hi,
Very interesting to find my name in this site.
You are correct Leendert `t was 17 may 1962 and Moekardanoe was the first pilot and I was his companion and second pilot on this remarkable trip. So I can say definitively that Leendert his search is true.
There were no other RAF planes (Javelins) in this area - Dutch New Guinea.
Regards Rein Lub
Than you for confirming this information. As Ruy writes a unique event but I believe it is almost unknown outside the Netherlands.

Regards,
Peter Hasselgren
Old 3rd May 2010, 15:42

Yes, indeed Peter, there was no intensive press publication worldwide during that time. I think no one was concerning the sale of a forgotten land.
The Dutch government was acting to “sell” the Dutch-Nieuw-Guinea country to the Indonesian government and even that - was a silent execution.... (the handover occurs via the United Nations)
But after all, there were plenty publications worldwide about the infiltrations, accidents and movements.
For the crews a nasty happening - because the newspapers arriving at least a week after publishing in this Papua country.
And the watch of the pilot of the C47 became to me (war-booty) still running after 50 years and a long time in the seawater - I give it to the Naval-Airforce-Museum in Den Helder.
http://www.traditiekamermld.nl/oorlogsbuit.htm (story in the Dutch languish)
Regards Rein Lub
Old 3rd May 2010, 21:53

An amazing story even if I missed some of it. Google translater is not perfect for translating from Dutch to Swedish. Did you fly photo-recce missions to Indonesia? Must have been extremely dangerous considering the fighters Indonesia had.

Regards
Peter Hasselgren
Old 4th May 2010, 14:35
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Hi guys

Of course, we are discussing two different incidents here. One is the downing of the C-47 in 1962, the other of the C-130 in 1964.

But fascinating, as you say.

Cheers
Brian
Old 4th May 2010, 15:52

Hi, Peter, Brian & Leendert
Yes, we made a lot of foto rec`s mostly in the night - low on the deck- and after arr. a climb to take the pick`s- jets on and back to Biak. Transits mostly 4-5 hours, so the trips were approx 13- 14 hours.
Of course we were concerning about the Mig`s but we had an enormous range and two extra jet engines to accelerate. Thereby we had spoilers to made sharp turns - but the crew don’t like this!!
Sorry Peter, I have no time to translate the hole story - I`m retired you now.
Regards- Rein Lub
Old 4th May 2010, 22:22

Hi Rob,
No need to translate you have already helped me with the part of the story I was unsure about. Since earlier I knew about the other operations your were involved in but had never heard about these photo rec´s. No doubt it takes courage to perform these missions.

Enjoy life in retirement and once again thanks for the help.
Regards,
Peter