Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 18th January 2011, 20:49

Iain Torrance is on a distinguished road
Searching 103 Sqn Photos

In conjunction with 103 Sqn Assoc I'm looking for a number of photos of 103 Sqn taken by AJH Roberts and sold by GB Militaria around 2004. If you think you can help, please let me know; by private email if you prefer.
Many thanks
Iain
Old 19th January 2011, 00:35
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road
Re: Searching 103 Sqn Photos

Out of interest have you seen this one off the web - source unknown.

Last edited by Larry; 23rd June 2020 at 17:37.
Old 23rd January 2011, 09:36

Iain Torrance is on a distinguished road

Larry

Thanks for posting that - it is a 'known' privately taken photo, but not by Roberts.

Best regards

Iain
Old 23rd January 2011, 11:20
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road

Incidentally Iain, my late father in law was on 103 Sqn at Elsham Wolds circa 1941-42 as a Ground Gunner - this was at a time before the RAF Regiment to which he later transferred.

Once when he was at Elsham he was coming back from the mess hall with a mate when the mate saw another friend manning a machine gun pit that had been put in place to counter Luftwaffe intruders. My father in law's friend said to the guy in the gun pit " Can I have a look?" So he jumped down and swung the Machine Gun round in a pretend action against the enemy and 'accidentally' cocked it and pulled the trigger - and in a moment of madness shot the chimneys of one of the buildings nearby! Everyone came rushing out with tin hats to take cover thinking there was a raid!

The next thing my father in law found was that he was on a charge together with the other two! So much for friends and RAF justice!. Their punnishment was to turn a hand pump to fill the RAF Station water tower!

Tags
103 france roberts 1940