Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th February 2015, 13:22

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road
2 Bf 109 losses on August 17th, 1944

There are two losses recorded on 17 August 1944 which need clarification - hopefully someone from our community can shed some light on them:

II./JG5 according to the GQM summary loss list reported the total loss of a Bf109 in aerial combat on this date - since there were only few intrusions of single reconnaissance a/c over the Reich with no known combat I wonder whether this loss did actually occur on the 16th when Obfhr. Jusa was killed in aerial combat. The summary loss list shows only one damaged a/c on that date, so it seems possible, that II./JG5 suffered two losses on the 16th, one as 100% (Jusa) and one damaged.

I./JG302 reported the total loss of a Bf109 in aerial combat near Heiligenstadt, the pilot Uffz. Walter Berlinska being killed - here again the question is whether this loss in fact occurred on the 16th. Willi Reschke on the other hand states that Berlinska crashed on a transfer flight due to an unknown cause.

If anybody has got reliable information on these two losses I would be grateful to share it.

KR

Jochen Prien
Old 14th February 2015, 19:02
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road
Re: 2 Bf 109 losses on August 17th, 1944

Hello, Jochen.

I can not find the alleged loss on August 17th in my records, it is of course totally possible that a correction with regards to the loss date have failed to have been corrected in the summary loss records.

I do however have NVMs for the losses of two aircraft of II./JG 5 on August 16th, but none of these have found their way to the Summary loss records under the II./JG 5 heading at least.

But I do believe I have solved the issue - as the original NVM contain a handwritten reference to the reporting date for the loss of Ofhr. Heinz Berthold Jusa as being reported on August 24th - the same date as the unidentified loss on August 17th was supposedly reported.

I thus attribute this to a clerical error - the real date should have been August 16th for this record in the Summary loss records.

Further - the other loss of August 16th - the loss of Uffz. Günther Kortmann seems to be correctly reported as happening on August 16th.

I suppose you have the details with regards to aircraft markings etc?

Regards,
Andreas B
Old 15th February 2015, 16:06

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road
Re: 2 Bf 109 losses on August 17th, 1944

Many thanks, I've got the rest.

Cheers

Jochen