Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 2nd June 2007, 12:47
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
Breach of international rules of war?

Hi guys

In case you did not notice my earlier enquiry regarding Graf Spee's Ar196, it has come to my notice (via the excllent input of 'Seaplanes' and others)that the Arado carried British or French roundels on the undersides of its wings, presumably to fool allied merchantmen it overflew that it was not hostile. Perhaps this has been known for a long time by historians/ enthusiasts, but not by me.
My question is - was this a breach of the international rules of war - or was there not such an animal?

Cheers
Brian
Old 2nd June 2007, 14:51
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road
Re: Breach of international rules of war?

Perhaps it could be considered in the same context as a raider surviving by masquerading as a neutral or friendly ship. From what is said in books on this subject, my understanding is that no direct action can be taken other than under the proper flag. The first action is to drop the disguise and show the "true colours", before firing can commence.

By this logic the Arado would not be permitted to drop bombs or fire on any target whilst flying under false colours, but overflights would not be breaking any international convention.

I believe (without direct evidence to hand) that it was the 1912 Geneva Convention that required all military/combatant/belligerent aircraft to carry national markings of identity visible in all six directions - something rarely if ever achieved from front and rear, at least!
Old 2nd June 2007, 15:11
Alter Hase

Thanks Graham

Graf Spee's Arado certainly did open fire on at least one British vessel, slightly wounding at least one person!

Very interesting
Brian
Old 2nd June 2007, 16:32
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

I believe that achieving surprise under false colours is permitted as a "ruse de guerre" but as Graham says you must fight under your own flag.

Certainly this had been custom and practice in naval warfare for centuries.
Old 2nd June 2007, 21:48

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road

International rules of war? That's rich. I think those were pretty much thrown out a few years ago by a certain North American superpower.
Old 2nd June 2007, 22:07
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtwinVince View Post
International rules of war? That's rich. I think those were pretty much thrown out a few years ago by a certain North American superpower.
But we're talking about 1939–45.
Old 2nd June 2007, 22:14
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point

At see there are no rules, the pirats can be anoblished, still today the right at sea is by many aspect different that on the "earth", the bombing of the french flotte at Mers el Kébir, obeying at that rule in fact at that no-rule

remi
Old 3rd June 2007, 14:01

hihotte is an unknown quantity at this point

Holá Nick, talking about 39-45, if the false national markings of the Spee Arado was the start of breaking (disregarding) international rules than it continued with everydays breaking rules in WWII - from all combatants. The next remarkable one was the Cossack attack and freeing of PoW's on Altmarck, the supply merchant of Graf Spee in neutral waters of Joessingfjord, Norway. Nazi Germany welcomed this affair to occupy Norway under the excuse Norway could not protect their own neutrality. I think that caused a lot of trouble in the next 4 1/2 years to the British War office. Anyhow as Clausewitz stated: At war and in love everything is allowed.
Have a nice sunday
Horst Schmidt
Old 3rd June 2007, 16:08
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

Just to add a touch of information during Cold War: I heard of a PRU American pilot who told me about his flights with a PR9 Camberra over the North Artic without any markings - the plane was entirely silver and the Nav/Radio-operator a Polac fluent in Russian...I think a lot of actions like that ocurred ( remember the histories of KG 200; the Brandenburgers; the SOE agents disguised as Germans - "the white rabbit"; etc....)
Adriano
Old 3rd June 2007, 17:13
Alter Hase

Hi guys

I hear what is being put forward but being specific, we are talking about an aeroplane using false identification - not a ship that can hoist another flag or an aircraft without any national markings. Assuming that the Arado carried false markings under its wings when it attacked the British vessel Clement on 30 September 1939, then it does not equate with Q ships or pirate ships or clandestine flights post WWII.

Kapt Hans Langsdorff of the Graf Spee is portrayed as being an honourable and chivalrous gentleman of the old school, which no doubt he was considering that he took his own life, but one wonders if he authorised/ condoned the disguise of the Arado? Was this the only such case?

Food for thought
Brian