Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th June 2011, 12:42
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road
Searching more info on two German losses, March 1941

Hello, I have in my database two German losses with the following data and would like to complete them. If anyone had more on these two losses I would be interested.

8 March 1941: Fw 200 WNr 40 (pilot Oblt. Wilhelm Claussen), unknown place, crew fate or loss cause

31 March 1941: Ju 88 D-2 WNr 792 of 1.(F)/124 (pilot Fw. Josef Goldbrunner) missing off Scotland, possibly shot down by an Allied aircraft
Crew (all MIA):
(F) Fw. Josef Goldbrunner
(B) Olt. Günther Rosenfeld
(Bf) Uffz. Adam Rack
(Bm) Gefr. Hermann Sevecke

Thanks in advance
Old 28th June 2011, 13:45
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road
Re: Searching more info on two German losses, March 1941

Laurent this is what I have - 8-3-41 Fw200C3 0040 I/KG40 Crashed on take-off from Bordeaux/Merignac 'H' 90%. Ff Oblt Wilhelm Clausen inj but died, Ff Oblt Gerhard Malitz inj, Ff Ltn Hans-Joachim Humbert inj., Bm Uffz Erwin Rigwalski inj ( Fw. Erwin Rigwalski later reported missing in F8+FH on 21-12-1941). from GQM returns.
Cannot add much to the Goldbrunner loss GQMs returns just add code G2+OH and missing to unknown cause while on recon. Pentland to Peterhead,

Regards

Brian Bines
Old 29th June 2011, 19:22
Alter Hase

Thanks Brian, all that is need for the Fw 200 loss.

Regarding the second loss, a query on RAF Command forums about a possible British claim went unanswered. I guess this Ju 88 just went missing.
Old 29th June 2011, 21:43
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Well Laurent

In this case I would agree with your assumption that the Ju 88D simply vanished, although I would feel a lot happer if we had full listings of Fleet Air Arms activities that day and also the elusive Coastal Command...

Hopefully Brian's (Cull) book vol 1 will give us a clue with regard to FAA, but is anyone working on the Coastal Command during WW 2?

Cheers
Stig
Old 30th June 2011, 12:20
Alter Hase

Regarding Coastal Command, Ross McNeill, author of the Coastal Command Losses book and administrator of the RAF Commands forum, is a good source.

Chris Goss has also replied to various enquiries about claims by Coastal Command.
Old 30th June 2011, 19:46
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

No CC claims I am afraid
Old 30th June 2011, 22:59
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

I know Laurent

But I am one of those guys who wants the whole Monty. Pitty that Midlands stopped publishing their "losses" books. I believe Ross must feel pretty let down by them as most probably both David Gunby and Pelham Temple are.

However what would be equally interesting is a day-by-day listing of what some say was the Cinderella service, the Coastal Command and its activities. They deserve a better memory than what so far has been given.

And I can't ask Chris and Ross to write a private book to me could I? I would then look down the bore of the deadly fortyfour of Chris.... (sorry Lorne Greene, just couldn't resist that one )

Cheers
Stig
Old 1st July 2011, 06:36

brewerjerry

Hi
I don't know if it is of any help, and unfortunately I don't have access.
But when at the PRO/NA many years ago there was a series of files called the 'games list' basically listed claims and losses for each day,(but not raf bombers)
Maybe someone on the board can help more.
cheers
Jerry
Old 1st July 2011, 10:22
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Of interest, some years ago, I copied out details of all CC combats with enemy ac in the CC Intelligence Summaries held by the AHB (i.e those ac which met no necessarily shot down an ac but the CC ac got back afterwards). It would give date, sqn, ac code (later), pilot's name (later), type, time and location. I did not copy out the precis of the report. Thus if Hudson P/224 Sqn had an inconclusive combat with a Ju 88 at xxxx hrs in location xxxx I would have the details. I cannot comment on how complete these summaries are though