Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 24th November 2019, 17:09
Alter Hase

gilles collaveri is on a distinguished road
AUTOSYN INDICATOR PLATE

Dear friends

what do you think about this plate ?

It was obvioulsy fitted on an equipment, Autogyn/Bendix related but can we tell more ?

what kind of equipment was it ? on which aircraft was it fitted ?

Would the P/N and the S/N ring a bell to someone here ??

Thanks in advance

GC

PS : to give a little background: this plate was found on a crash site which is very likely to be a FW190A crash site;
So, there is mystery: was a US Patent equipment fitted on a FW190 ? does this plate come from another aircraft ?
I wish your answers help lift this mystery

Last edited by gilles collaveri; 20th July 2020 at 17:47.
Old 25th November 2019, 10:31

jschreiber is on a distinguished road
Re: AUTOSYN INDICATOR PLATE

Hello Gilles

I found this...

In 1953, this dial was surplus, and is not referenced in the 1944 index of aeronautical equipment (instruments). Was perhaps always obsolete

So we have a 360° degree indicator, which can be reasonably associated with a radio compass (AN-6 ?) or a remote compass.

But thats not enough to find the corresponding plane or planes

Have a nice day !

J Schreiber

Last edited by jschreiber; 25th November 2019 at 10:34. Reason: precision needed
Old 25th November 2019, 17:27
Alter Hase

Salut Jean

if I understand well, this P/N is post 1953 ? Am I correct ?

merci beaucoup...

Gilles
Old 26th November 2019, 01:20

jschreiber is on a distinguished road

Hello Gilles

From my point of view, the part is one of the early variants of the 5907 series (single needle autosyn receiver). The variants (ranging from 1 to greater than 100) differ only by the dial, the remainder of the mechanism is the same. So, the "13" variant could be an early one and, with a 360 degrees dial, this device can only be compass or direction finding related, and not necessarily standard equipment.

And datation would be more late 30's or early 40's, and a civilian origin cannot be excluded.

The part could come from a plane in difficulty throwing removable equipment...

Have a nice day !

J Schreiber
Old 26th November 2019, 13:17
Alter Hase

Bonjour Jean,

merci a lot for your valuable input. I still wonder how such part can be on a FW190 crash site.

Can anyone help us concerning the tracability of the Autosyn indicator P/N 5907-17B-23 S/N B5899 ?

all best

GC
Old 29th November 2019, 20:32
Alter Hase

RSwank is on a distinguished road

This link is to a fuel pressure gauge from a WWII plane. If you click on one the smaller pictures it is shown enlarged in the top frame. Note the the numbers following the 5907 are blacked out for some reason, but the 5907 is clear. Also note that the tag has some of the same patent numbers and some of the wording is identical.

http://www.2040-parts.com/bendix-typ...ument-i728397/

You can also get some ideas by looking up the patent numbers here then downloading the associated pdf file:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/

This may be a similar dial: http://www.2040-parts.com/bendix-avi...-era-i1638372/

Last edited by RSwank; 30th November 2019 at 13:38.
Old 30th November 2019, 07:39
Alter Hase

Thanks a lot RSwank,

so, it is quite possible that this plate comes from the B17F shot down 50 kilometers away from the place where it was found.

Here is the B17 : http://francecrashes39-45.net/page_f...9c88416c583369

Since the S/N on this plate is readable, is it possible to check if this plate was fitted on this very B17 ? (tracability)

As far as you know, is there a website specialized on B17 ?

All best

GC
Old 30th November 2019, 16:05
Alter Hase

RSwank is on a distinguished road

I don’t think you will be able to trace the plate you have to any particular plane. I doubt that records were kept, (or if kept, would still exist) that would connect the serial number of an instrument to the serial number of a plane. Certainly, engine serial numbers and gun serial numbers were “connected”, as we see in MACRs.

We may be able to say that it was in a “B-17” or in a 4 engine plane, but I don’t think we are there yet.

The Air and Space museum has several Bendix Autosyn parts in its collection, and it is possible to get some clues as to how Bendix labeled parts by looking at a few examples.
This links to 7 views of a part.
https://airandspace.si.edu/collectio...pressure-c-14a
You can download any view and enlarge it on your computer. If we do this for view 3, we can read the label, which turns out to be 6007-14E-7-A. View 1 shows the dial, which has indicators for the fuel pressure of a left and right engine. Thus, this would appear to be a fuel pressure indicator for a twin-engine plane.

Another part: https://airandspace.si.edu/collectio...osyn-dual-e-10
This one is for a tachometer. View 2 shows the dial (with Left and Right indicators). View 3 can be downloaded and enlarged to read the data plate, which is 6007-28C-7-A. So, we have a tachometer for a twin-engine plane.

I have seen Bendix parts with needle indicators labeled 1 and 2 in one instrument face and indicators 3 and 4 in a second “identical” face. Those two parts together would be for a 4-engine plane.

While one “theory” on how Bendix labeled parts would suggest the first 4 digits indicated a particular purpose (e.g. Pressure, Temperature, etc., the fact that we see “6007” on both of our examples, one a pressure indicator and one a tachometer, suggests that theory is incorrect. In face, I think the 5907 was used for "single" indicators and "6007" was used for duel indicators.

With the second indicator, being 14E in the first case and 28C in the second, it would appear that it does not indicate particular plane. Thus, the 17B in your case may not indicate a “B-17”.