Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 24th November 2008, 15:35

atticcorner is on a distinguished road
Secret Attack on Augusta?

Can anyone who reads this provide a possible reference? Trying to help my uncle who is 95 awith a lingering question and thought this forum might be a likely source

In the weeks before and after D-Day he was assigned to the Allied command ship U.S. Augusta off Normandy coast.. As he recalls it, sometime in weeks after launch of Allied Invasion at around 1600 hours he was on deck and witnessed a single engine Luftwaffe plane, he thinks it was a biplane, flying in under radar and at low speed, attempt to drop a bomb down the Augusta’s stacks. Trajectory was off, bomb kept going past ship and hit water at which point the \plan turned back toward land. No one on board made any mention of this, My uncle thinks its because of the breach of security and what could have happened. He’s sure of what he saw but also kept it to himself.

Years later, sometime around the 40th or 50th anniversary of D-Day, he read a newspaper article which backed up his story but he’s lost track of it. In that article, a German Luftwaffe General who had been stationed in France recounted his solo flight and attempt to bomb the Augusta. As my uncle recalls the story, this general had been relieved of his command for failing to stop the invasion, had returned to find his base empty except for that sole plane and had attempted to bomb the Augusta as a way of vindicating himself.

If anyone knows anything about this general please I’d appreciate your help. My uncle is anxious for an answer, has regretted not saving that article since the day he threw it out.

I appreciate this opportunity and thank you for allowing me to post on this forum.

Mike
Old 25th November 2008, 01:27
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Secret Attack on Augusta?

Hi Mike,

Here's a reference to three encounters dated 11, 12 and 13 June 1944.

http://www.internet-esq.com/ussaugus...4.htm#1%20June

Still looking for additional info. It's very interesting that such minor (?) actions were taken so casually or kept secret.

Ed
Old 25th November 2008, 01:40
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Secret Attack on Augusta?

Here's a message board that may be of help:

http://www.internet-esq.com/bbs2/index.html

Ed