Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 10th July 2011, 12:30

Henofred is an unknown quantity at this point
36th Fighter Group - June 29, 1944

Bonjour,

I am looking for details about two missions carried out by P-47 of 36th Fighter Group onto the Vierzon marshalling yards (a town of centre France, near Bourges.) on June 29, 1944. This town located south of Paris is divided in several districts known as:Vierzon-ville, Vierzon-village, Vierzon-Forges and Vierzon-Bourgneuf.

The local police report specifies: “First attack about 08:30 am (local) Target:
Vierzon-ville main railway station and the South-East junction. One steam engine damaged. Second attack about 07:45 pm (local) Target: Vierzon-ville main railway station and North-West marshalling yards. Ammunition train destroyed on the tracks.”

Boxcars still burning with explosions on 30th of June and which put off the untangling of the tracks. Any information are welcome.

Warmest regards,
Frederic.
Old 12th July 2011, 14:33

KM1957 is on a distinguished road
Re: 36th Fighter Group - June 29, 1944

Frederic,

I have found only one mission flown on 29 June by the 36 Fighter Group. I will condense the information and then give specifics regarding Vierzonville. 32 P-47's (8 of the 22 Ftr Sqn, 12 each from 23 and 53 Ftr Sqns, took off at 0652 and made landfall near Fecamp at 0733. "C" section was the 53 Ftr Sqn and quoting from their mission summary, "53 FS D/B yards at Vierzonville. Three good hits were observed. The station house at Vierzonville was strafed from 400 feet and left smoking. One locomotive at Vierzonville, two at Romorantin, and one at Fresly were strafed by one flight of "c" Squadron with excellent results.

The group later crossed out at Fecamp around 0940 and last plane was down at 1009. I will continue to search for a possible second mission for this date. Hope this helps.

Kent
Old 12th July 2011, 15:21

Bonjour Kent,

Thanks a lot for all these details. I am not sure about 36th FG for the first mission because the document I have is of low-quality and hard to read. The following day, during the night, Lancasters from RAF Bomber Command attacked marshalling yards too and bombed with great accuracy.

Regards,
Frederic
Old 13th July 2011, 02:27

KM1957 is on a distinguished road

Frederic,

I have found additional information--you are correct two missions were flown against Vierzonville by the 36 FG. On my earlier post, the three locomotives claimed were all shared by Capt. Richard LaRoque, Lt. John Wavra, Lt. David Whitaker, and Lt. James Hodge of the 53 FS. Now on to the additional information.

The second effort by the 36 FG did not go to Vierzonville so I will skip those details. The third effort, however, did have Vierzonville as the primary. 40 P-47's took off (12 each 22 and 23 FS and 16 53 FS) at 1800 and all were home by 2125. 22 planes actually attacked the yards at Vierzonville with bombing from 5,500 feet. Three fires were observed in the yards. Results were reported as very good. Other targets were also attacked but I will skip those as well. No mention was made of which squadron(s) made this dive bomb attack. Some other strafing claims in other areas were credited to some 53 FS pilots but that doesn't help you any. I have quite a lot of information on the 36 FG so if you ever need further help, please let me know. I will do what I can to assist. Good luck with your project.

Kent
Old 13th July 2011, 18:40

Bonjour Kent,

Once again, thanks a lot for your assistance. You know, I am looking for USAAF and RAF attacks having occured in this area. (South of the Loire - Orleans-Nevers-Chateauroux area). I don’t know if the 36th FG was involved in others attacks there -- I don’t have other dates of missions -- but I am interested by what you could have about missions carried out by this Group into this area between May and mid-September 1944. This area of France was liberated on mid-September 1944.

If you are interested I can send you the handwritten report I have about the mission of June 29, 1944. If so, send me a PM with your private E-mail.

Warmest regards from France,
Frederic