Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 27th September 2017, 18:32

Tim O. is on a distinguished road
Is this a known Staffel Badge of KGr zbV 9?

Hi all

I have just received some photos showing the 'Staffelabzeichen' used by Kampfgruppe zbV 9 during the Polish campaign. They include the Staffelhund upon which the badge is based, a close-up of the badge and images of aircraft displaying the badge (the attached at Sagan), all dating to the Polish campaign in September 1939. I have not been able to find any reference to this badge elsewhere so wondered if it is new to the research community.

Looking for any information or documents relating to:
Alfred Schmittka 5./KG 54; Josef Harmeling 4.(Schlacht)/LG 2; Wilhelm Gaul 1./106, 2./906 & III./KG 40; Karl Müller I./KG 2; Werner Breese 5.(F)/122

Last edited by Tim O.; 16th February 2019 at 21:30.
Old 29th September 2017, 23:39

Pieter H is on a distinguished road
Re: Is this a known Staffel Badge of KGr zbV 9?

Hi Tim,
no, not new.
The badge was still in use during the attack on the Netherlands May 1940 and is seen on at least one of the lost aircraft. At that time it was only used by 3./KGrzbV.9.

Regards, Pieter
Old 1st October 2017, 12:52

Tim O. is on a distinguished road
Re: Is this a known Staffel Badge of KGr zbV 9?

Thanks Pieter.

I could not find it in any reference. The reverse of the photo clearly calls it a 'Staffelabzeichen' (rather than a Gruppenabzeichen) but does not say which Staffel, so it is interesting to see it linked to 3. Staffel. The only photo I have from this time, where a Staffel letter is clearly visible on an aircraft, shows an 'L' so 3. Staffel makes perfect sense.

Looking for any information or documents relating to:
Alfred Schmittka 5./KG 54; Josef Harmeling 4.(Schlacht)/LG 2; Wilhelm Gaul 1./106, 2./906 & III./KG 40; Karl Müller I./KG 2; Werner Breese 5.(F)/122

Last edited by Tim O.; 1st October 2017 at 19:22.