Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 10th June 2020, 19:40

richdlc will become famous soon enough
New Arado 234 / KG 76 Book 'Blitz Bombers' - Eddie J. Creek & Robert Forsyth

It gives me great pleasure to be able to announce that my second release as a publisher, namely Eddie J. Creek and Robert Forsyth's fantastic 'Blitz Bombers' is now available!
Everyone who placed a pre-order, I will fulfil these ASAP.
Everyone else, you can now order direct from my website, or on eBay, or by PM here.

www.chandospublications.co.uk

ISBN: 978-1-9993-1651-8
RRP: £50
Description
This is the first time that the story of the Arado Ar 234 as the world’s first dedicated jet-bomber has been told in such detail in the English language.
In late December 1944 the Luftwaffe surprised the Allies when it unexpectedly introduced a new, high-speed bomber to its inventory. Though deployed in small numbers, the Arado Ar 234 B-2 jet-bomber proved itself an effective day and night strike aircraft over the Western Front and a tough challenge for Allied fighter pilots who tried to counter it.
Powered by the same Jumo 004 turbojets as the Me 262, the Ar 234 could attack pinpoint targets such as transport hubs or enemy vehicle columns and troop assemblies in ‘glide attacks’ with a high degree of impunity. The jets were flown by experienced and often highly decorated Luftwaffe bomber pilots who worked hard to master the new aircraft in a short time and amidst the chaotic conditions of a Third Reich in decline.
‘Blitz Bombers’ tells the story of KG 76’s operations when equipped with what was the world’s first jet bomber, the Arado Ar 234 B-2. The book is founded on original unit diaries, reports and other records, as well as various German and Allied material drawn from archives and private collections gathered over many years. It traces KG 76’s period working up on the aircraft and its subsequent combat operations over the Western Front from December 1944 through to the end of the war.
The Geschwader’s jets took part in operations over the Ardennes, in the ill-fated Bodenplatte attack of New Year’s Day 1945, in missions against the Allied armies driving into the Reich in early 1945, and in a series of intensive strikes against the Ludendorff bridge at Remagen and the bridgehead established there by the Allies in March 1945.
Following many years research, the book includes nearly 300 illustrations, comprised of rare photographs of KG 76’s aircraft, personnel and equipment, as well as the Allied aircraft and pilots who encountered the Arados in combat, plus key documents taken from the unit’s records. These are supplemented by specially commissioned and highly detailed colour artwork depicting the unit’s aircraft.
--------------------------------
No expense has been spared in the creation of this book, the second in a proposed long line of Luftwaffe titles.
I have uploaded some sample images of pages from the book in this listing. The book itself is A4 sized, with glossy hardcovers and semi-gloss finish to the pages, with full colour throughout.
Finally, many thanks to everyone who has enquired about the book and supported this endeavour.
Rich.
Old 10th June 2020, 21:42

laurent14 is on a distinguished road
Re: New Arado 234 / KG 76 Book 'Blitz Bombers' - Eddie J. Creek & Robert Forsyth

Congrats Richard. I have the first on Henschel 129 and really a great book. Unfortunately, financially talking, impossible to order this one at the moment but I hope to be able asap.
Old 10th June 2020, 22:06

Re: New Arado 234 / KG 76 Book 'Blitz Bombers' - Eddie J. Creek & Robert Forsyth

thanks! Looking forward to your custom
Old 11th June 2020, 02:25

Bombphoon is on a distinguished road

Does the book have details of the Ar 234's recon flights over Britain in 1945? Thanks.
Old 11th June 2020, 11:17

don't think that was KG 76 mate
Old 11th June 2020, 13:08

Bombphoon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by richdlc View Post
don't think that was KG 76 mate
Sorry, From the title, I thought the book was about the jet and KG76, not just KG76.
Old 11th June 2020, 16:51

Hi - it is? Not sure I understand your question. AFAIK KG 76 didn't operate the Ar 234 over the UK

Last edited by richdlc; 13th June 2020 at 01:27.
Old 11th June 2020, 18:42
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

I think there is confusion about reconnaissance flights carried out by the Ar 234. In particular the flights over Normandy by Erich Sommer. I read one account where it was made clear that this aircraft could not be intercepted, including by the Mosquito. I recall seeing one original document on ebay where the two cameras that were installed were mentioned. And there is this book: Hitler's Spyplane over Normandy 1944: The World's First Jet.

There was a reconnaissance flight carried out by an Ar 234 over Scotland on April 10, 1945. Source: https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/researc...tion/1945.aspx
Old 11th June 2020, 19:13
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
I think there is confusion about reconnaissance flights carried out by the Ar 234. In particular the flights over Normandy by Erich Sommer.
What did you have in mind about confusion about Normandy, Ed? We don't have everything but the first Ar 234 arrived in Juvincourt on 25 July 1944; first op. on 2 August; withdrew to Chièvres (Belgium) on the 28th. Dates of some of the Normandy overflights are noted on photos reproduced in "Hitler's Spyplane" and in the German Naval Staff war diary. Ar 234 reconnaissance flights (including those over England) will be covered in an Osprey book due in September.
Old 11th June 2020, 19:37
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Nick,

I think a few think this book is more expansive as opposed to being just about KG 76. That and the little known, by some, late war Ar 234 reconnaissance flight over Scotland, confused with England, and some flights over Normandy confused with England.

Best,
Ed