Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Off Topic

Off Topic Please use this forum to discuss all off topic subjects.

Old 6th November 2018, 03:52
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road
WW1 Trawler found in Falmouth Bay.

A WW1 H M Trawler , the "St. Ives" R.N. R, sunk by a mine explosion on the 21st December, 1916 has recently been found. A diving team has been searching for the wreck for two years.

As Falmouth is a well known holiday resort I hope and pray that all involved ensure that the wreck will be respected and treated as a War Grave.

The ships eleven crew, one of which at least is known to be a Falmouth man. Five are remembered on the Plymouth Naval Memorial and five are remembered on the Chatham Naval Memorial. The eleventh man is remembered at the Hull Western Cemetery, Yorkshire.

May they continue to rest in peace.

Alex
Old 7th November 2018, 05:24
Alter Hase

Re: WW1 Trawler found in Falmouth Bay.

A WW1 shipping loss entered in what seemed to be a section for WW1 topics was moved.
I can only presum that this was because the item was a reporting of its recent finding of the wreck.
If there is another reason I would like to be informed in a pm.
Thanks
Alex
Old 17th November 2018, 03:22
Alter Hase

Re: WW1 Trawler found in Falmouth Bay.

There seems to be a difference of opinion about this wreck.
It would seem that in later years in WW2 another ship hit a mine and sank on top of the WW1 trawler and some years ago that ship was looked at and the diver says that dispute the second event the hull of the WW1 trawler was intact. It is therefore disputed that this trawler could have been sunk by mine as there would most certainly be damage to the hull.
A second trawler the "Tulip II" is now said to be this trawler and a second site in the Falmouth Bay is where the "St. Ives" is resting. The question of which trawler is which is it seems still open.