Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17th September 2019, 16:15

rof120 is on a distinguished road
KG 76 but no insignia...

Quote Chris: "Both aircraft have the KG 76 fuselage band behind the trailing edge of the wing."

All right (I had no idea about that ol' band) but I think it's the first time I see a photograph of Do 17(s) not sporting some STAFFEL-insignia on their nose, like the well-known singing bird ("alouette" - Lerche) or the big bomb, falling obliquely. I feel this could be a pointer to replacement aircraft in any case, either having just arrived in their Staffel or too busy for the artists to bother, for German aircrew and ground crew seem to have been really keen to proudly have their Staffel-insignia on their aircraft.

French fighter pilots really could aptly sing "Alouette, gentille alouette, alouette, je te plumerai…" (Nice skylark, I'll pluck you…)