Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th July 2008, 03:26

NickM
Who shot down Adolf Dilg?

Am re-reading Andrew & Morton's book on FWs in North Africa(Well done Guys, by the way!) & I'm curious if the identity of who shot down Adolf Dilg, of III/SKG10, on Jan 24 1943 has been ascertained; he said his plane was shot down by a P38 but the book made the point that no claims were made by any P38 unit. Did any other Allied unit claim an FW190 on the date/time/place in question?

Thanks ahead of time, Guys

nickm
Old 12th July 2008, 04:19

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough
Re: Who shot down Adolf Dilg?

Hi Nick,

Glad to hear you're enjoying our book the second time around.

No U.S. pilots claimed any Axis aircraft destroyed, probably destroyed or damaged on 24 January 1943.

The III./S.K.G. 10 KTB does not mention enemy aircraft being encountered on this mission. It noted: Uffz. Dilg nach 45 Min. Flugzeit aus noch unbekanntem Grund über See mit Fallschirm abgesprungen. D. wurde von einem Zerstörer an Bord genommen.

Summarische Verluste for III./S.K.G. 10 says an FW 190 was lost on a mission, although there was no enemy involvement.

Records of the Führer der Luftwaffe Tunis noted: "Flugzeugführer einer FW 190 aus unbekannter Ursache mit Fallschirm abgesprungen. Von Zerstoerer gerettet."

The loss report says Dilg was injured in a crash due to engine damage.

So Adolf Dilg's account in Alfred Price's book is the only source mentioning P-38s, or indeed any enemy aircraft, involved in this incident.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Andrew A.
Old 12th July 2008, 05:05

NickM

Andrew:

It's more like the FIFTH time I've re-read it--and I AM waiting for whatever Morten currently have cooking too!

....so you figure Dilg was 'shooting a line' to Dr Price or something like?

TiA

nickm
Old 13th July 2008, 20:19

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough

Hi Nick,

I'm not sure if he was "shooting a line" to Dr. Price, but as I said, there's no confirming evidence for his story about being shot down.

Morten and I are working on a few book projects, but there definitely won't be anything finished this year. Hopefully we will have something published next year though, if all goes well.

Cheers,
Andrew A.
Old 13th July 2008, 20:49

NickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Arthy View Post
Hi Nick,

I'm not sure if he was "shooting a line" to Dr. Price, but as I said, there's no confirming evidence for his story about being shot down.

Morten and I are working on a few book projects, but there definitely won't be anything finished this year. Hopefully we will have something published next year though, if all goes well.

Cheers,
Andrew A.
Gotcha...I EAGERLY await the next book!

nm
Old 4th January 2015, 23:23

KrisJG3 is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Who shot down Adolf Dilg?

Dears,

Somebody know , Adolf Dilg survived II WW ? I read at one book that he was on March 1945 still alived. What was his last unit ?
http://pomorze1945.com/?co=&lang=EN
Huball25@poczta.fm

http://www.en.truthaboutcamps.eu
http://auschwitz.org/en/

Team of SS KL Auschwitz:
http://pamiec.pl/pa/form/60,Zaloga-SS-KL-Auschwitz.html
Old 6th January 2015, 16:25
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

He did survive the war as Alfred Price was in touch with him. As to what he did, wasnt he on a delivery unit?