Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 4th May 2023, 13:10

schwarze-man is on a distinguished road
Re: Turbo/Supercharger Compressors and Turbines for Aircraft Propulsion in WWII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
Since it is a print-on-demand "book" (=a travesty of a real book), the price should not exceed £25. For a premium price, everything must be of premium quality in the product. Anything else is fraud.
Hi Jukka,

I agree with your thoughts for a standard book. However, this book, Turbo/Supercharger Compressors and Turbines for Aircraft, is not a standard book, it is the most detailed description of the subject from the top Daimler-Benz designer of the time, expanded with modern, clear English text and illustrations. The reason for my strong support is that it provides an unrivalled level of information, particularly about the German developments and the technology in general.
I am happy with the standard of my copy from ASME, but the real value in this book is the information in it. I do not know anything that covers this subject in such detail. Overall, I guess that those who really have a level of interest in the subject will find the price acceptable. What I am keen to do is to spread the word about the importance of this work. Furthermore, I think it is helpful to try and give an impression to those who have real interest because it would be a loss to miss this work.
I think the price is mainly due to the books exclusivity, and it is on the way to being a very rare book.

Cheers

SM
Old 4th May 2023, 19:11
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

Schwarze-man, I am definitely very interested in the topic. And I am willing to pay substantial amounts of money for books. For example,late last year I paid some 115 euros for the Boelcke book by Lance Bronnenkant. But it is a book with proper sewn binding, nearly 900 large-format pages and good quality paper. And this was by a publisher that relies on sales to survive and its print run was in 3 figures, i.e. far fewer than Calum's Secret Horsepower Race. ASME probably does not rely on sales profits for its existence.
Old 5th May 2023, 10:02

schwarze-man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
Schwarze-man, I am definitely very interested in the topic. And I am willing to pay substantial amounts of money for books. For example,late last year I paid some 115 euros for the Boelcke book by Lance Bronnenkant. But it is a book with proper sewn binding, nearly 900 large-format pages and good quality paper. And this was by a publisher that relies on sales to survive and its print run was in 3 figures, i.e. far fewer than Calum's Secret Horsepower Race. ASME probably does not rely on sales profits for its existence.
Hi Jukka,

Yes, I am with you about this and so is Calum. This price is high because the publishers view the content as a technical publication that has very low sales prospects. However, what I am saying is that for those with a high interest in the subject, this book is very important and, I am trying to pass that info on to interested members to help.
Relative value is always subjective. To me, this book is in a class of it's own, it is like a personal copy of Mercedes-Benz top designer briefing, which is what it is!
Your Boelcke book sounds exquisite, I have some leather-bound books and they are good. However, TSCT has the best content for me, for the content and and information I would buy it in paperback if I had to!
Best Wishes,

SM