Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th October 2017, 15:20

sveahk
Heinz Nedlich - who knows more?

Hello!

Looking for more information concerning a (Uffz) Heinz Nedlich, who flew in the German Luftwaffe during part of the war.

This is what I know (mostly from his half-brother, who is still alive):

Heinz Nedlich was born in Gumbinnen 1919, moved with his family to Oscarström, Sweden 1929 where his father took over a local factory. Heinz went to school in Sweden and took his "Realexamen" there in 1935/36. Returned to Germany in 1937 where he learnt how to fly at Rangsdorf outside Berlin.

1939 he was called into the military service and 1940 he was flying the Me 109.
1940/41 he was posted to North Africa (possibly transporting Messerschmitts there...?), but in 1942 he had to quit that sandy scene because of problems with his sinuses. He was awarded the Iron Cross during his African posting, obviously he saved someone...

Anyway, next he was stationed in Berlin transporting planes to Caen/Brest, until on a return flight he fell asleep at the wheels and almost crashed! He was then transferred to the Infantry, a "Strafbataillon" in the Baltic area where he was killed on the 7.5 in 1943.

This is what we know - anybody here knows more? Most important, IMV...in which units did he fly?

Thanks and friendly greetings

Hans K
Old 11th October 2017, 09:27

sveahk
Re: Heinz Nedlich - who knows more?

Any educated guessing then, where I could look for an answer...?

Thanks Hans K
Old 19th October 2017, 17:30

sveahk

Just talked to Heinz (half-)brother, who was born in Sweden only a couple of years before Heinz went back to Germany to fly. He gave some important information:

Heinz was born 29 december 1919. His father died shortly afterwards, but Heinz possibly used his fathers last name when he went to Germany - which would have been Borchert. Which means he flew in the Luftwaffe under the name Heinz or Karl-Heinz Borchert.

His mother obviously had a photo of her son, where it says on the back "Zum Jagdflieger ernannt 20 April 1940".
There also was one photo taken in Königsberg - the brother remembers - dated sept/oct 1942 where he had "two wings" on the uniform, and somewhat later only "one wing". Degraded obviously...

Found on the Kracker Database one Uffz Heinz Borchert who actually crash-landed one Ju 52 at the end of September 1942 - but this happened not in Central Europe but in Banak, Norway...
http://www.aircrewremembered.com/Kra...?s=100&q=heinz

Even some photos at Flyvrak Norway, taken by Uffz Heinz Borchert!
https://ktsorens.tihlde.org/flyvrak/banak.html

So, what do you think, could this be the one I'm looking for - and does anybody have more information about this Swedish-speaking Luftwaffe-pilot?

Regards Hans K
Old 19th October 2017, 17:48

Peter

Just a thought;

"1942 where he had "two wings" on the uniform, and somewhat later only "one wing". Degraded obviously..."

2 "wings" on their arm patch is Oberfeldwebel and 1 "wing" with a bar under it is Leutnant

But I might be wrong (again)

Peter
Old 19th October 2017, 19:24

sveahk

Thanks for your thoughts Peter, but he never became more than Unterfeldwebel as far as I know, so he must've been degraded to Unteroffizier after the above mentioned incident...

Regards Hans K