Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 21st May 2007, 20:30

alex crawford
261 Squadron and Operation Y

Hi,
Operation Y was the Anglo-Soviet invasion of Iran that took place betwen 25-28 August 1941. 261 Squadron operated Hurricanes and Gladiators during this short campaign. They had at least four Gladiators, K6147, K7928, K7984 and K7989, on strength.

261 Squadrons Hurricanes and Gladiators flew over fifty sorties during the first day. They strafed Ahwaz airfield three times, destroying three Audaxes during one strafe.

During the 26th eleven sorties were made against Ahwaz airfield. During one of them Sqn Ldr Mason and Sgt Hitching encountered an Iranian Audax which had just taken off and Mason promptly shot it down. One of 244 Squadrons Vincents was intercepted by a Hurricane and inadvertently shot down, the Hurricane pilot mistaking it for an Iranian machine.

Would anyone have any further info regarding the Gladiators role in this campaign? Any details of the 61 sorties that were flown would be appreciated, also the names of any pilots who flew Gladiator sorties.

I have Chris Shores' book 'Dust Clouds in the Mid East' where most of the above comes from.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Alex

Old 21st May 2007, 21:07
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
Re: 261 Squadron and Operation Y

Hi Alex

I have always associated Mason's alleged shooting down of the Iranian Audex with the loss of the Vincent - one and the same. Do you know for sure that wasn't the case? Is there any record of an Iranian loss?

Cheers
Brian
Old 21st May 2007, 22:52

alex crawford
Re: 261 Squadron and Operation Y

Hi Brian,

This is an area I haven't really studied before so I can't comment on Masons claim for the Audax/Vincent. So far I have not come across any info on the Iranian side of the campaign, so again I don't know what losses the Iranians suffered.

The only other book I have read on the subject is Sunrise at Abadan The British and Soviet Invasion of Iran, 1941 Richard A Stewart Praeger, New York ISDN 0-275-92793-8

It gives a lot of details of the background and lead up to the invasion but very little on the actual air battle.

I may order the ORB when I next place an order with the NA and see what that has to say.

Regards,

Alex