Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 10th July 2020, 07:50
Alter Hase

keith A is on a distinguished road
Re: Eugene Anthony Valencia promotion dates.

No, his promotion date to LCDR was as noted. I believe you are confusing the date the citation was forwarded in 1945 with a date when awarded at some point after he was promoted to LCDR. In general, once a LCDR, even USNR, the date of his promotion would not have changed with his augmentation. Valencia was augmented into the USN from the USNR on 11 July 1947 . . . he had already been a LCDR for a year. And, indeed, you, yourself, have an August 1945 publication noting him as a LT.

Many thanks, that clears it up. I am not ashamed to admit my ignorance of the USN/USMC and more than grateful to be corrected

regards

Keith
Old 14th October 2020, 16:05
Alter Hase

keith A is on a distinguished road
Re: Eugene Anthony Valencia promotion dates.

Reading the excellent "Ring of Steel" by Stephen L. Moore which provides lots of detail about Valencia (including him going under the name Powell, after his stepfather) until he enlisted in the military (either 1937 or 1941). Does anyone know when he received his private pilot's license? I assumed 1941 but Moore puts it when he was nineteen which means 1939 or 1940.

regards

Keith